Poll

What's your favorite species?

Altolamprologus compressiceps (shelldwelling varieties)
Lamprologus callipterus
L. calliurus
L. caudopunctatus
L. finalimus
L. leloupi (not leleupi)
L. ocellatus
L. ornatipinnis
L. speciosus
L. stappersi (meleagris)
L. wauthioni
Lepidiolamprologus boulengeri
Lep. hecqui
Lep. meeli
Lep. pleuromaculatus
Neolamprologus brevis
N. kungweensis
N. multifasciatus
N. similis
Pseudotropheus lanisticola (Malawian)
Telmatochromis bifrenatus
T. brichardi
T. dhonti
T. sp. "Orange Scribble"
T. sp. "temporalis shell"
T. vittatus
Other
L. signatus

Author Topic: Favorite shellie species  (Read 23950 times)

darrin34

Re: Favorite shellie species
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2007, 01:43:48 AM »
hello all i am new to keeping shellies i have a 47g with 5 brevis 4 lemons 4 calvis and 8 multifasciatus i love these guys the most amazing little fish i have seen i recently got hooked on them i have another tank that is strictly malawi and i think i like my little shell guys alot better

Richard - UK

« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2007, 07:03:20 AM »
Does anyone know whether this is a definitive list of shell dwellers, as recognised by the aquarium trade, or are there more.
I would be interested to know.

Offline Miles44

• Charter Member
  • Charter Member
  • Shellie addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2007, 02:51:27 PM »
This list is not definitive.  I have yet to see one that is.  There is always the debate of half the fish on this particular list even being true shelldwellers.  Plus these fish are constantly being moved around from genus to genus.

Darkside

« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2008, 09:44:40 AM »
There are many fish, which spawn in shells and are not on the list...  Maybe there should be a distinction between fish which constantly inhabit shells (N. Brevis, N. Multfasciatus, L. Boulongeri...) vs. fish that spawn in them, such as L. Pleuromaculats, L. Attenuatus, L. Elongatus... etc.

Offline Miles44

• Charter Member
  • Charter Member
  • Shellie addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2008, 05:23:05 PM »
There are many fish, which spawn in shells and are not on the list...

True :)

Maybe there should be a distinction between fish which constantly inhabit shells (N. Brevis, N. Multfasciatus, L. Boulongeri...) vs. fish that spawn in them, such as L. Pleuromaculats, L. Attenuatus, L. Elongatus... etc.

I think the list is fine for what it is.  It's not meant to be a definitive list.  Just a quick poll.  :)

Offline tak

• Brevis
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2009, 05:40:57 PM »
well.. at the moment l. kungweenis is my favorit.. you cant call them a shell-dweller really.. at most you can call them opportunist among shell dwelling cichlids ... and only under aquaristic conditions.. in lake tanganyika they use to build tunnels in the mud. the soil in their habitat is discribed by divers as beeing of an yoghurt -like consistency and because of that they are able to build those tunnels in the soil. i offer them shells and plasic pipes as well, which i carve in the soil (at an 45° angle). they like to transfer the fry from one breeding place to an other... the interesting thing is, that their eggs lack the ability to stick on the substrate. but if you keep in mind, that the mud-tunnels they use to build in lake tanganyika could collapse, it makes sense to be able to move the fry to another place  ;)

sorry for my english

greetz tak!
greetz tak!

Offline Petro boy

• Ornatipinnis
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2009, 01:08:38 PM »
My favorite shellie is Telmatochromis sp. temporalis shell because they raise fry in a community aquarium when predators like julies are around and aggressively defend their territory against all cichlids. Even with non spawning pairs they still aggressively defend their territory. Their looks is another reason why i love these cool shellies.
30 gallon long-
3 1m2f Petrotilapia sp. gallireya reef
3 1m2f Metriaclima msobo

10 gallon-
WC female Telmatochromis sp. temporalis shell
8 f1 Telmatochromis sp. temporalis shell

tranced

« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2010, 11:35:33 AM »
i voted for dhonti cos they are my current favs, and dont seem to get much love but really they are all so awesome how could you choose just 1 ??? my real favourite is whatever species i recently aquired lol

Offline fish head

• Shellie addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2010, 08:09:57 PM »
L. ornatipinnis is my favorite shellie at the moment.  These little beauties seem to have a lot of emotion.  They really do get desperate and try very hard to scare smaller females down to a shell and then they stop chasing.  All show and no bite.  My 2 dominant males rarely notice each other.  They only notice the girls!

I have 6 and I thought for the longest time that I had 2 males and 4 females, because of the very obvious size difference.  They were all the same size at first (very small) but then 2 of them grew much larger than the other four.  Now I think I have 3 and 3 and one of the males is one of those sneaky little males that flirts behind the scenes.  He doesn't even claim a shell but hangs out behind rocks w/ some of the girls when they are not near a shell.  He'll get his splotchy pattern and try to entice, just like the big boys.

I don't spend enough time w/ these guys and I might just have to move them beside my desk, and move out the brevis!
fish keeper of 37 yrs
professional artist
...by the glow of fish tank lights

warlord

« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2010, 03:38:15 PM »
As I can see from the poll above, N.multifasciatus is favorite to most members.

I must agree with them that it is remarkable species, one of a kind in cichlid world and that it deserves to be in that place.

OK, lets be honest, there are "so many" species, all of them "look alike" in behavior and all of them are again unique, but REAL unique species is N. multifasciatus.

They are the only one that live in a REAL colony,
They are the only one that tolerate "kids" for a long, long time
They are the only one that allow "other kids" to scroll in their "block"

I personally love ocellatus, meleagris, speciosus, similis...I love them all, BUT multifasciatus are totally different from others and deserve to be No.1 favorite in shellies world.

ps
glad to be "back" here, I was absent for a loooooong time, but, I am back and I am happy to see all of you people and to see that you still "Shell the World!" ;)

Offline fish head

• Shellie addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2010, 07:17:48 PM »
welcome "back" fish king Warlord!
fish keeper of 37 yrs
professional artist
...by the glow of fish tank lights

warlord

« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2010, 02:18:59 AM »
It is good to be back my dear friend, good to be back! ;)

Offline Jérôme

• Brevis
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2012, 12:52:50 PM »
At the moment, in the species that I keeped it's the kungweensis, beautifull and lot of charactere  :)

Offline Mr.ornatipinnis

• Ocellatus
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2012, 11:10:41 PM »
I agree with fish head.  My L.ornatipinnis are amazing little fish, full of personality.  They are also my most prolific fish by a long shot.

Offline alpine

• Multifasciatus
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 31, 2012, 05:00:07 PM »
As a newby I would like to see the vote replies with a picture of the choice they have .

Roberto.
Roberto.