Author Topic: Shellie tips  (Read 39244 times)

LittleMousling

Shellie tips
« on: May 06, 2005, 08:40:52 AM »
Well, everyone join in. What's a good tip you have about shelldwellers that you wish you'd had when you started?

-Don't mix shelldweller species in a tank

-Don't expect shellies, especially new acquisitions, to want to come to the surface for food

-Feeding fry many times a day on a crushed staple food increases growth speed immensely

multiman

Re:Shellie tips
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2005, 05:10:56 PM »
- multiple males in a single tank will frequently fight and put on displays ( may become deadly)

mentallylost

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2005, 05:35:55 PM »
Make sure that you have ENOUGH SHELLS for your shellies!!!

Mattf

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2005, 01:50:23 PM »
To clean the tank, run a naken siphon hose about an inch off the surface of the sand. It'll suck up all the poo and leave all the sand.

If it's REALLY bad, as in you have poo slightly buried, you can just siphon off some sand with your water and then in the bucket, swirl it around until the sand is on the bottom and the poo can be poured off.

Poo is a technical term.

Taffy

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2005, 07:16:08 AM »
get a bigger tank

aways have twice as many shells as fish

get a bigger tank

don't tinker with the tank, disturb the fish as little as possible

get a bigger tank

listen to advice but realise that your mileage may vary

get a bigger tank

mooman

Shellie tips
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2005, 07:57:06 AM »
Haven't had to try it yet, but I've heard a flower vase with a narrow neck makes a great shellie extractor.  put the shell in the top (suspended because of the narrow neck) and the shellie will swim to the bottom.

LittleMousling

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2005, 09:17:10 AM »
Ship and travel with shellies out of their shells (just had yet another go confirming how well this works - parents and all 21 fry arrived home healthy and acclimated well!)

Offline Miles44

• Charter Member
  • Charter Member
  • Shellie addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2005, 02:22:57 AM »
This tip doesnt' really pertain to shellies, BUT, I thought about it when I read what Matt said.  When I use the "naked" tube to get the poop I also suck up the snails I have in the sand.  Works real good, and helps keep the population down.

About shellies,
I have found that shellies will take up residence in caves.  Even if you have plenty of shells.  So you can make good use of rock work.

LittleMousling

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2005, 06:02:49 PM »
Keep note of:
-Approximate hatch dates of fry
-When you acquired each fish, size when they arrived, source, any losses, etc
-Any big changes in tank stock and notes (you may not remember, in a year, how well your brevis got along with those Serpaes, or whatever)
-General behavior notes, including good long descriptions of "normal" behavior so if you're worried about something (flashing, color changes) you might have a better idea of whether it caused/indicated problems in the past

Watch and enjoy your fish! There's a reason we're keeping intelligent fish and not just platies or Neon tetras.

Car

Shellie tips
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2005, 07:20:14 AM »
And don't forget to keep the water pristine!

tilapia92

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2005, 09:12:29 PM »
A tank wider than 12 inches is great becasue there is more room to put shells around the tank. A 40 breeder is great!

butterfly

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2005, 08:15:52 PM »
Micro worms make great fry food and mom and dad like them also.

Carol

Didgeridoo

« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2005, 04:58:22 PM »
Have patience with them. Sometimes the only thing to get them to breed is keep feeding, doing water changes, and eventually they'll breed. Also you've gotta have patience when growing up Tangs, if you don't then you're definitely keeping the wrong fish! haha.
Nick  ;)

Mattf

« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2005, 07:42:46 PM »
AMEN.

Luna

« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2005, 06:57:35 AM »
Make sure to use enough sand if you keep ocellatuses - they behave like bulldozers :)