Author Topic: Rams + Tiger Barb in 40G Planted?  (Read 2900 times)

Offline Als49

• Ornatipinnis
    • View Profile
Rams + Tiger Barb in 40G Planted?
« on: August 15, 2014, 10:24:19 AM »
I have 40G (35" x 18" x 18") planted tank with gold fish and want to replace the gold fish with cichlids.

I'm considering 6 rams + 15 tiger barb.

Rams is substrate dweller while tiger barb is mid dweller. So they occupy different region.

Is it a good combination?

I'm also open to other rams tank mates suggestions.

SiRWesDragon

Re: Rams + Tiger Barb in 40G Planted?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2014, 10:43:10 AM »
Tiger barbs are nippers btw. If really want them. Just get them. In fishstore they normally put fishes in same water parameters to keep it easy on their centralized filtration system. But home we aquarists we change it their correct water parameters to breed or keep them happy.

Offline fish head

• Shellie addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2014, 12:16:11 PM »
I've had a few shy rams and I've had many a tiger bard dither in my bigger cichlid tanks.  I wonder if tiger barbs would nip shy rams?

How about some multies??  ha ha.  (best fish for a tank, in my opinion)

Cherry barbs are pretty and not as nippy as the tigers.  I was even able to breed cherry barbs in a 10 gallon w/ a breeding pair of julis!  Don't ask me how!  I have no idea, but I ended up w/ more than I bought in the beginning.  The thing I hated was when people who didn't know fish would comment on the pretty red fish (dithers) and act like they didn't even see my prize julies and their fry!
fish keeper of 37 yrs
professional artist
...by the glow of fish tank lights

Offline Als49

• Ornatipinnis
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2014, 07:53:27 PM »
There is one Multies tank and it should be enough :)

I want rams to be the main fish in this tank. I love their acts toward each other.

Since rams mostly occupy bottom region, I'm looking for tank mates that swim in mid to upper level. And I don't want tetra, guppy, molly, dwarf gourami, etc. Got bored of them and want something different for this tank.

Other than cherry barb, is there any suggestion? Or is there any similar size cichlid that's suitable for rams tank mates?

Offline theChad

• Ocellatus
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2014, 12:05:01 AM »
Tiger barbs can be obnoxious. I suppose if you had a bunch of cover for the bottom dwelling Rams like woods criss crossing, with ferns growing on them the Rams could tuck away. Other wise the barbs may stress your Rams.

Tetra are the perfect mid dwelling tank mate for Rams. But you could choose a small rainbow fish. There is a dwarf neon blue rainbow. There are small african barbs that may work. One is called African banded fire barb.

Offline Als49

• Ornatipinnis
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2014, 08:14:18 AM »
Obnoxious for fin nipping? This barb got many bad reputations! 8) I wonder why they're still popular?

Perhaps it's wise to not get tiger barb.

I like boesemani rainbow much better than dwarf rainbow. But they're too big for this tank. Furthermore they're jumper and this tank is open top. Worse, they're fast eater. The rams lose in food competition.

I went to LFS this afternoon and saw serpae tetra in the same tank as rams and apisto. The serpae tetra actually looked nice. They stayed in the mid upper level while rams and apisto stayed in the bottom. Is serpae tetra suitable for rams?

Offline theChad

• Ocellatus
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2014, 10:26:21 AM »
Tiger barbs have always been obnoxious for me. Like a high strung dog. Just the shear energy of this barb could stress out some types of fish. They will nip, but having a schooling community of this barb usually keeps nipping on other tanks mates to a minimum.

When I housed Tigers and dwarf cichlids together the cichlids pretty much stayed in the plants all the time. Your experience may differ but this seems to be the norm for this fish.I don't know many people who house tigers. They are a beautiful fish and if used as the focal point, or the fish the rest of the tank revolves around can make for a beautiful aquarium. 

Offline theChad

• Ocellatus
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2014, 10:32:57 AM »
I understand you are "bored" with tetra . The serpae is a beautiful choice. In my 140 gallon planted tank my focal point fish are dwarf cichlids. Right now I have 4 species of dwarf cichlids. After a while though the tank needed a filler. Over time ended up with 4 schools of different tetra. There is diamond, lemon, black neon and glow light tetra. I also added angel fish. I got tetra every where. There isn't a space in this large tank that's inactive , lol.

SiRWesDragon

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2014, 10:59:45 AM »
How about Congo tetras?

Offline Als49

• Ornatipinnis
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2014, 11:15:57 AM »
I read a few conflicting comments about serpae tetra. Some comments mentioned fin nipping. Others said serpae is safe for community tank. I wonder which is true?

In 140G you can even have discus or geophagus for south American community :) Nice!

Congo tetra will grow too big for this tank size. It's only 40G.

Offline cyanider

• Brevis
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2014, 08:02:44 PM »
Serpae do have a tendency to be nippy. I used to have a school in a community tank. Their nipping would mostly keep to themselves, but occasionally they'd pick on my gouramis.

What are your thoughts on rainbowfish? I have neon dwarf rainbowfish. No cichlids yet, ordering them this week, but they're a fast, schooling fish with a ton of personality. Mine are at the glass anytime I enter the room. They'll follow my hand around and pounce on any food I put in the tank. They're definitely the most active, tight-schooling fish I've had. They school better than any tetra I've owned, and they really liven up my tank. I've had this tank with just rainbowfish and a few random tetras for months while deciding on a direction for the tank, and I've actually enjoyed having just them.

If you're looking for something different but active and fast, I recommend them.

Offline cyanider

• Brevis
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2014, 08:05:06 PM »
Here are a couple videos of them.

Eating frozen bloodworms:

Attempting to eat an algae wafer...

Offline Als49

• Ornatipinnis
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2014, 09:19:01 PM »
Unfortunately I don't really like the color of neon dwarf rainbowfish. The rainbowfish that I really like is boesemani.

Right now I'm more inclined with serpae.

Offline cyanider

• Brevis
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2014, 09:21:26 PM »
As long as you don't have any long-finned fish, serpae should be fine.

Offline Als49

• Ornatipinnis
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2014, 02:25:53 AM »
The main fish will be rams. And may be some corries.

If serpae doesn't work well with rams, is rosy barb or cherry barb a better choice?