Author Topic: Rams + Tiger Barb in 40G Planted?  (Read 2901 times)

Offline Als49

• Ornatipinnis
    • View Profile
Re: Rams + Tiger Barb in 40G Planted?
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2014, 01:57:06 AM »
I just bought 15 serpae long-fin and 6 rams. When the rams pair-up, I'll remove the remainder. The goldies went to QT.

I'm relieved for now :D

Offline theChad

• Ocellatus
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2014, 09:49:13 PM »
This will be a nice combo for sure. Don't forget to share pictures at a some point :)

I love South American dwarf cichlids. I have a 140 gallon planted tank with a bunch of them and soon to get more :)

Offline Als49

• Ornatipinnis
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2014, 01:03:11 AM »
Because this tank is located next to glass sliding doors facing the garden, the best time to take pics is at night with all the ambiance light off.

Talking about dwarf cichlids, I wonder if rams can be mixed with kribensis?

Offline cyanider

• Brevis
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2014, 06:30:41 AM »
With a large enough tank and enough caves and hardscape to block line-of-sight, you should be able to keep both. They're both cave-dwellers, so have enough caves and hardscape so they don't have to see eachother if they don't want to! They're both rather territorial species. Just be aware that if the kribs breed, they may kill the rams! I had kribs once and they bred and killed off a few fish from my community tank!

Offline theChad

• Ocellatus
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2014, 08:30:30 AM »
With a large enough tank and enough caves and hardscape to block line-of-sight, you should be able to keep both. They're both cave-dwellers, so have enough caves and hardscape so they don't have to see eachother if they don't want to! They're both rather territorial species. Just be aware that if the kribs breed, they may kill the rams! I had kribs once and they bred and killed off a few fish from my community tank!
I agree. As single fish you should be okay but if you have a pair of Kribs you'll have troubles. When spawning they get very protective and will attack anything in the tank.

Offline Als49

• Ornatipinnis
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2014, 07:28:18 PM »
I never thought that such small fish can be that aggressive. African cichlid is a whole lot different levels than SA!

So how many more tanks to have: Trophs, Geo tapajos, occies, calvus & kribs :o

There are so many fish to choose and so little space (tanks) available. I wonder how do you choose your fish and hold yourself to not adding more tanks?

Offline theChad

• Ocellatus
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2014, 08:46:39 PM »
I never thought that such small fish can be that aggressive. African cichlid is a whole lot different levels than SA!

So how many more tanks to have: Trophs, Geo tapajos, occies, calvus & kribs :o

There are so many fish to choose and so little space (tanks) available. I wonder how do you choose your fish and hold yourself to not adding more tanks?

LOL! The question of the century ;D

Offline cyanider

• Brevis
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2014, 10:24:28 PM »
I've kept Kribs and GBRs, and have loved both. Completely different personalities. Both have really great colors and spawn fairly readily. I say just get whichever you can find. Or get both and another tank! :p

Offline Als49

• Ornatipinnis
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2014, 01:57:24 AM »
I have GBR in 2 tanks ;)

First tank with discus, and the 2nd one with serpae tetra.

Perhaps kribs is better in their own species tank.

I definitely love to have more tanks. Who here doesn't? ;D