Author Topic: Leleupi + Multi + Arowana Tank = ?  (Read 1692 times)

Offline Als49

• Ornatipinnis
    • View Profile
Leleupi + Multi + Arowana Tank = ?
« on: September 22, 2014, 02:36:16 AM »
Found an interesting video.

And here's the update.

Offline fish head

• Shellie addict
    • View Profile
Re: Leleupi + Multi + Arowana Tank = ?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2014, 06:03:53 AM »
Cool video!  Thanks for posting!  This pretty much illustrates my fishy interests.  Note that he shows us the big guys for a moment and then the rest of the first video is based on the little guys - where the real action is!  Then in the 2nd video there is a great burst of excitement when feeding the big guys and that lasts a moment or 2 and then, back to the real entertainment - watching little fish w/ big attitudes, and some mystery - "are they breeding in the cave yet?" etc.

Big fish are cool, but I'd prefer to leave the big fish outside in big water.  Little fish in tanks are where its at in my opinion!  OK, not just any little fish... shelldwellers and a few other small cichlids!
fish keeper of 37 yrs
professional artist
...by the glow of fish tank lights

Offline Als49

• Ornatipinnis
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2014, 07:55:54 AM »
Welcome Kenny.

Those are very expensive feeders!

It's very interesting to see the arowana dove down the tank and gulped leleupi! Mixing BIG and small fish are fun if the small fish multiply faster than they got eaten ;D

My parents' arowana usually ignores the small fish below him, he mostly swims on the top. It makes me curious to add bottom dwellers there :)

Offline fish head

• Shellie addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2014, 06:44:36 AM »
Everything about an arowana says, "look up!" to me.  Aren't those little wiggly things on its chin are meant to attract birds - GULP!??  They clearly eat from the surface more than anything else, but I'm sure you can train just about anything to go for food where food is.

I imagine you could toss your excess multies and julies in there (when you have some) and they'll figure out a way to multiply under the shadow of an arowana just fine.

If I could find homes for all my fry, I'd have to think the world is nothing but wall to wall fish tanks!  Clearly some have to be food or we legged ones will run out of elbow room.
fish keeper of 37 yrs
professional artist

Online jerrytheplater

• Boulengeri
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2015, 06:55:30 PM »
Ha Ha

Just discovered this thread. The video's are mine. The tank is my friends. I was just at his house tonight. He got rid of the Arowanas a while ago and made the tank into a community tank. While the Arowanas were still there the Multi's did breed but not very well. I gave him the leleupi fry because I considered them stunted and not worth trying to sell. At the time I had a pair that spawned regularly and would fill up their 38 gallon tank. I'd break it down from time to time and give him the fry.

Well, someone I know asked if he could breed my leleupi adults and I gave them all to him hoping to get nice looking juvies back. Well disaster struck and he lost all the fish but one. So now I thought I have lost the line of fish I'd been keeping for 10 years or so. Then I remember Rich and his tank and ask him if any of the leleupi have survived. Turns out one pair survived all that he's done to the tank, but their fry never survived. I asked him if I could have them back and just picked them up tonight!!!!! I plan on bringing them to work tomorrow to put in the 65 gallon tank that used to contain Telmatochromis temporalis adults. I was able to sell them to the local store for credit. Right now the leleupi are trapped in floating plastic jars with holes in them while they wait to get bagged up tomorrow AM before work.

So, my friend really does not think too much when he gets fish. :'( :'(  He just see's what he likes and gets it and then worries about compatibility later.  :'( :'( Well he bought an Electric Blue Jack Dempsey after the Arowanas and it ended up eating all his Multi's. Plus 20 out of 30 Tiger Barbs. His Julies have all died. Some ended up getting washed over the overflow into the overflow where he could not retrieve them. So now he does not have any shell dwellers in there. I will have to give him some more Multi's when I get more to replenish his tank.

This friend is my gardening friend. He is a grower at a commercial greenhouse that produces over 3/4 million flats of bedding plants a season. He does not do too much to his tank in the growing season since he works such long hours at those times. Now they are just starting to sow the early crops like Pansies, Mountain Pinks, etc. It is slow now. His tank will see more attention now.
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ

http://www.njagc.net/wp/

Offline fish head

• Shellie addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2015, 06:29:32 AM »
Small world!  Good videos!  Thanks for the update.  Everybodies fish stories are different, but all fun to hear about the adventures of others.
fish keeper of 37 yrs
professional artist

Online jerrytheplater

• Boulengeri
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2015, 09:11:47 PM »
Very bad news. I accidentally suffocated the female N. leleupi overnight. She was in a plastic container with holes in it, but must not have been enough holes. She was dead in the morning. I just released the male into the Multi colony to recover. He was badly beaten up by the attempt to catch it. Missing a large number of scales.

I've been kicking myself more than a few times today.
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ

http://www.njagc.net/wp/

Offline fish head

• Shellie addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2015, 05:42:11 AM »
Sometimes the chase and catch is too much for older fish.  Sorry for your loss.
fish keeper of 37 yrs
professional artist