Author Topic: Looking for colorful cichlid that easy to breed and grow in community tank  (Read 1344 times)

Offline Als49

• Ornatipinnis
    • View Profile
Since my wife likes colorful fish like discus, and my oldest kid likes to see fry growing in the tank,  I'm thinking to have new colorful cichlids, about 3 - 4" in size, that's easy to breed in the community tank, without grow-out tanks.

Something that's easy to breed and form colony in community tank like Multies, but about 3 times bigger and colorful. Or something like N. brichardi with brightful colors.

I wonder if there's any cichlid that fits this bill?

The tank is 58G (48 x 14.8 x 20").

Offline d277kaiser277

• Ocellatus
    • View Profile
You could do a bunch of cyprochromis for top water and maybe some xenotilapia sand dwellers for the bottom. It would be an active tank and a large cyp school is gorgeous. Just cyps by themselves might be good too. They are mouthbrooders and don't eat their own fry

Offline Als49

• Ornatipinnis
    • View Profile
Cyps and xenos look georgous for sure when I saw them on Youtube. I haven't found them sold here yet. And importing them is too expensive for my hobby.

Combo of blue cyps and yellow leleupi definitely looks great in tank!

I'm open to non Tangs chiclids, too.

Offline fish head

• Shellie addict
    • View Profile
Pink convicts are a bit underrated.  The male gets some yellow and the female gets a red patch.  When mature, their fins have nice iridescence blues and greens.  They have clouds of fry.  They get some size, but not too big.  The male is often bigger.  He sometimes gets a bit of a head hump.  Easy to see, easy to breed, not easy to resell or even give away.
fish keeper of 37 yrs
professional artist
...by the glow of fish tank lights

Offline Als49

• Ornatipinnis
    • View Profile
I took a look at pink convicts. They look closer to white (albino) than pink.

I prefer bright red, yellow or blue. It's even better if I have community of fish with those 3 colors combo :)

After searching on the net and reading several forums, many people mentioned red jewel cichlids and kribensis are easy to breed in the tank and take care of their fry. I'm not sure though if they're suitable for community.

Aulonocara dragon blood (red) and aulonacara stuartgranti maleri (yellow) also look beautiful. Not sure if they can breed in community tank and the fry survive and grow.

Online sebdeserio

• Brevis
    • View Profile
Kribs, or kribensis are great community fish especially in a bigger tank. You could probably do 2 males and 4 females.
They spawn in caves and although they pair the extra females will try to steal the males once they are paired, and take of aggression from the pairs, which is great.
Fyi if you are breeding them, that's when they are the rowdiest, but In a nice big planted tank with caves that won't be a problem. also p.h affects the fry's gender I believe the higher it is the more males there is and the lower the more females, so try to get it as close to 7 as possible.

Offline Als49

• Ornatipinnis
    • View Profile
I ended up choosing a combo blue and yellow of demasoni and leleupi, along with red dither: cherry barb and red zebra danio. It becomes my most active tank with colorful fish swims all around in all of water level.

So far so good and I'll keep watching them carefully.