Author Topic: 50g with juli. Sp gombe and l. Meleagris  (Read 1921 times)

Offline jerrytheplater

• Ornatipinnis
    • View Profile
Re: 50g with juli. Sp gombe and l. Meleagris
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2017, 05:35:30 PM »
Nice video. Maybe remove the rocks on the left side entirely and just have shells. Pile the Julie side rocks higher. Make sure there are some dark caves for the Julies. Coconut shell halves work for me. Bury them under rocks with just a narrow opening in the side. My N. leleupi used this type cave frequently.
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ

http://www.njagc.net/wp/

Offline jamntoast3

• Brevis
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2017, 11:16:22 AM »
i might try pulling the rocks on the left out out. when i first rescaped the tank it was with an open area on the left and the rocks on the right but i couldnt stop myself from meddling. i was trying to divide the territories up  but it might be good to see how it plays out. good thing about the rocks on the right is its created a number of little caves and such so the julies have some good spots to hide and spawn.

Offline jamntoast3

• Brevis
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2017, 11:56:40 AM »
so i pulled out all the rocks and i've added a handful more shells to make it just a feild of shells like you would see in a set up for multi's. so far i think it has helped with aggression from the julies, but the male stappersi have claimed all the shells so my hope is that by adding a bunch more than are nessecary that it will give the femals a place to land. see how that goes. if it seems like its no good i will try pulling some of the shells. i feel like i will rotate back to having some rock barriers and just deal with it. anyone have experiernce with plants (plastic) and julies? will they try to claim that like they do rocks?

Offline jerrytheplater

• Ornatipinnis
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2017, 06:21:25 PM »
No experience with plastic plants (horrors!!!) and Julies. But my gut feeling says they would not care about them. They can hide in them or swim in them.
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ

Offline jamntoast3

• Brevis
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2017, 04:42:54 PM »
Got to messing around with this tank again. Moved everything into a 5' 60g tank. The plan is to add paracyprichromis nigripinnis for sure and if I can I'd like to add a few neolamprologus caudopunctatus. Here's how it looks now. It will probably mess around with the layout still
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline jerrytheplater

• Ornatipinnis
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2017, 10:08:08 AM »
No experience with plastic plants (horrors!!!) and Julies. But my gut feeling says they would not care about them. They can hide in them or swim in them.
Don't know what I was thinking when I said I didn't have experience with Juli's. I have kept J. regani Kipili. In fact I have 6 of them in a 65 now and it is looking like they are getting large enough to be spawning.
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ

Offline jamntoast3

• Brevis
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2017, 12:21:03 AM »
Don't know what I was thinking when I said I didn't have experience with Juli's. I have kept J. regani Kipili. In fact I have 6 of them in a 65 now and it is looking like they are getting large enough to be spawning.

Do you mean yours? I was really surprised mine spawned as soon as they did. They are domestic and I think they were bred locally so they are prob used to my water, I'm sure that helped

Offline jerrytheplater

• Ornatipinnis
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2017, 06:56:56 PM »
Yes I was talking about my Julies.
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ

Offline jamntoast3

• Brevis
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2017, 11:01:32 AM »
Yes I was talking about my Julies.
ah, i have seen with my pair that when they are trying to court they do really spazzy movements, dart around quite a bit, not the normal patrol and chase type behavior. so look for that when they get to size. the regani get big dont they? what size are yours at now and what size do you expect them to breed?

Offline jerrytheplater

• Ornatipinnis
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2017, 05:08:42 PM »
My J. regani Kipili never got more than about 4" long. I am seeing 3" fish or so. Usually the male is smaller. They are in a 65 gallon tank at work in my office. I don't spend a lot of undisturbed time observing them since I do have to work!! But I do look at the tank throughout the day. Feeding time is at 9 AM. I have begun softening the pellets I feed by soaking for about 10 minutes. I know for sure the Synodontis lucipinnis appreciate that. I do see the regani and N. leleupi attack the softer pellets too.
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ

Offline jamntoast3

• Brevis
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2017, 12:57:32 AM »
So there has been a lot of digging by the male juli in particular, he has excavated all the sand out from under the rock pile in the middle it seems. He's made a big mound outside the entrance to a cave about 3"tall.  Didn't know they would do this.

Offline jerrytheplater

• Ornatipinnis
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2017, 05:24:17 PM »
Did your rock pile settle or collapse in any way? I think a new spawn is on the way!!
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ

Offline jamntoast3

• Brevis
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2017, 09:11:23 PM »
Did your rock pile settle or collapse in any way? I think a new spawn is on the way!!
I suspect so! But no, there hasn't been any settling or collapsing. I was petty careful to balance everything well and there as actually a big channel/cave under those rocks that goes from one end to the other. So most the sand is from there most likely. I keep shining a flashlight into the entrance to see if I can catch some fry swimming around. Not yet but soon I'm sure