Author Topic: multies food for breeding  (Read 349 times)

Offline ulvenk

• Multifasciatus
    • View Profile
multies food for breeding
« on: April 29, 2017, 11:29:09 AM »
Hello

I have had my multies for 6 week now. And still no breeding. I have 7 males and tre female. I ordered 10 to my local store (wish too 4 weeks) and they had no controll ower what I got. The tank is 180 liter (47 gallon). I also have 12 Cyp pavo. (I will get a new tank in the summer for them - as the need something bigger when they grow more). I have around 40 shells.

The 3 females have digged a lot around the shells and each have their own stoock. it seem like there is one males going back and forword for 2 of the female and one female have its own male. the females hag around the shell all day and do not move loong to eat.
But I never see any fry in the shells. I use sinkpellets that float all ower. and also frozen zooplankton a couple of times a week.

My big question is: Do I have to put food inside the shell? Or is that not nesessery before I see small one pooking out. What do you do regerdaing food to get the multies breed. how loong can the small one live without food?

The water is stable at: 8,5 ph, 15 gh and 26 C.

Offline Rupert

• Ornatipinnis
    • View Profile
Re: multies food for breeding
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2017, 02:43:36 PM »
Congrats on the multis. :) I also started out with more males than females. With shells spread out across the substrate, my unpaired males were able to remain in the tank without a problem. Multis seem fairly flexible in this regard. An especially dominant male with an attractive pile of shells may claim more than one female, even if excess males are around.

Do you know about how old your fish are? As a general guide, they may not be sexually mature until they are at least 9 or 10 months old. Even if they are all sexually mature, it can take fish awhile to settle in to a new tank and get comfortable enough to spawn. Give them a bit of time and I imagine you’ll have fry in good order.

To help bring them into breeding condition feed a quality, high protein food and do your water changes. I would not put food directly into a shell. Food rotting in a shell creates problems. Your fry will eat microorganisms and tiny bits of left over food. Some folks do spot feed specialty fry foods around shells with fry, others just feed the adults normally and fry pick up the scraps—fry tend to come along just fine either way. I generally give a couple extra pinches to a bit of flake to crumble it finely and swish it into the tank. Whatever you do, you really don’t want a bunch of rotting food inside a shell, especially a shell with fry. It’s easy to over feed a tank of multis. 

I had the same feeding concerns when I first got multis and caused myself a ton of unnecessary anxiety. :) I took the advice to not worry, not over feed, and everything would be fine. And my fish and fry have been fine. I do prefer to feed crumbled flake because of how it swirls and floats in the water currents of the tank and bits of it pass across all the shell pits. Other folks swear by pellets. If you feed pellets and are really worried about fry getting a bite, you can take a small amount and pulverize it and feed little portions across the tank that way too.

Offline ulvenk

• Multifasciatus
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2017, 02:23:12 AM »
thank you! This puts it in a beter perspective. I will not worry about the food Anny more.

It looks like they are sexual mutere. The 7 are bigger then 3. and the 3 small heng over each of their cluster with shells.

I noticed this morning when i feed pellets that very small portions gets out of the mouth when they shew so it should be somehting floating around if i get fry.

Offline Rupert

• Ornatipinnis
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2017, 09:10:23 PM »
:)

Enjoy your fish. Multis are a ton of fun.

If you can, post a pic. Would love to see it.

Offline jerrytheplater

• Ornatipinnis
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2017, 08:22:29 PM »
Welcome to the site Ulvenk. See if you can make a video and post it up. That way we can see your tank. Multi's are a lot of fun. So are all Tanganyikan's.
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ

http://www.njagc.net/wp/