Author Topic: I want to recreate this in an aquarium...  (Read 483 times)

Offline Miles44

• Charter Member
  • Charter Member
  • Shellie addict
    • View Profile
I want to recreate this in an aquarium...
« on: June 01, 2017, 05:14:10 PM »
LightSearch posted this today and I think it would be awesome to recreate this in an aquarium display. I love the idea of having the small shell bed nestled in with the plants. Maybe some dwarf sagittaria and larger rocks lining the back. What do you guys think?

Offline Rupert

• Ornatipinnis
    • View Profile
Re: I want to recreate this in an aquarium...
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2017, 08:09:00 PM »
I think it would be great. A guy in my area has some vallisneria that is from stock collected from Tanganyika. He says that under strong lighting it grows tall as you'd expect, but that under low light it stays short. (I don't know if that's typical for vallisneria in general or not.) Anyway, I think it would be lovely to see plants edging shell territories like that. Hope you give it a try and share your results. :D

Offline Miles44

• Charter Member
  • Charter Member
  • Shellie addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2017, 09:17:43 PM »
Yeah I think short growing val would look closer to what we see in the video. I couldn't properly id it for I am a complete novice when it comes to plants. Thanks :)

Offline jerrytheplater

• Ornatipinnis
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2017, 11:02:53 PM »
Plants look like a very stunted Vallisneria. But I don't know why it would be so low growing. I'd be interested in some of that Val your friend has Rupert. Any chance he could ship some? Send a PM if possible.

The plants in the video are in very bright light. You can tell because the start of the video shows the photographer setting up the camera and you could see the water surface. I'd suspect its between 3-5 feet deep. You can see the sunlight flickering on the bottom. LED lights could duplicate this.
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ

http://www.njagc.net/wp/

Offline Rupert

• Ornatipinnis
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2017, 10:32:17 AM »
I wanted to correct what I said about the val from Tanganyika. Seems that it's not so much the lighting that influences the height it grows (as I originally understood) but the hardness of the water. It stays shorter (like 2-4") in harder water like in Tanganyika and grows taller (like 12") in softer/avg water. So apparently the water hardness is the limiting factor more than the lighting. But again, I have no idea if that's typical for val in general or not. Always learning....   

Offline jerrytheplater

• Ornatipinnis
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2017, 09:18:19 PM »
Vals can use the bicarbonate in water to extract their needed carbon. Don't need CO2.
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ

Offline Rupert

• Ornatipinnis
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2017, 03:21:21 AM »
Pic first, comments after....

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

I got ahold of some of the vallisneria from Tanganyika. Person I got my starts from is on a municipal water system that is above average on hardness and pH. In the pic, the tall stuff behind the rock on the right and the anubias leaf on the left is what I started with. All the short stuff in the pic is growth in my tank. I'm on really hard well water. Can't give specific numbers on hardness since it seems superfluous to test since I only keep Tanganyikans. (If you want a number I'll have someone from the club do a test for me.) But, honestly, I need to razor blade the front glass of my tanks every week to get rid of the sandpaper-like build up that occurs even below the water line. Anyway, it's easy to think the short stuff is just young plants that will grow taller. It's not. It stays really short and never gets tall. I put a runner with two little plants on it in the Julie tank and it's spreading well, but remains really short--like under 2". Here's a pic....

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

The stuff is growing like crazy in my tanks. But it is really harassing me in the multi tank. Young multis love to hang out around the base of the val forest, which is really cool. The problem I have with it is that when I go to pull the runners I also upend all the sand and shells it has grown through. For folks who are into constant plant maintenance it wouldn't be a big deal. But if you let the stuff go, and then pull it up, it makes a big mess of the shells. The multis will fuss at the plants a bit when they get close to their shells, especially the longer leaves; but the val wins.

My general track record with plants is crap. And I'm not doing anything special to make the stuff grow. Nonetheless, I'm finding the maintenance--in the multi tank--more troublesome than it's worth. For someone who invests the time to sculpt it properly, it would be exquisite. It's really amazingly attractive as a low-level, carpet like plant.

Offline jerrytheplater

• Ornatipinnis
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2017, 07:54:03 PM »
Really nice Rupert.
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ