Author Topic: Female darkening in color  (Read 147 times)

Offline AsstToTheRegionalMgr

• Multifasciatus
    • View Profile
Female darkening in color
« on: November 06, 2017, 08:35:27 AM »

It's now been about 2 months since I got my multis. Of the 6 multis, I think 1 has established himself as the alpha male, and at least 2 are females. The other 3 kind of live on their own and the size is in between the confirmed male and females, so it is difficult to sex them.

Anyways, I think both confirmed females have made some babies. I noticed that these 2 were darker than the others, maybe signaling they are reproducing? However, yesterday, I saw that one got REALLY dark. She became a dark tan and the blue in her eyes darkened as well. What does this mean?

The others look normal so I don't think it's an overall water quality issue. Also, I started getting a ton of algae or diatom. I can't tell what it really is but it's brown patches on the sand and rocks. Could this be an issue?

Offline Rupert

• Ornatipinnis
    • View Profile
Re: Female darkening in color
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2017, 11:42:24 AM »
IME, female multis do darken a bit around and during the time of spawning events. Intensification of color can also be related to dominance displays or territorial aggression. Since females become extra vigilant and protective when they have eggs and wrigglers these things may be related at times.

Color and behavior are really our indicators for mood, stress and health. Observing your fish over time is the best practice for knowing when there is a problem. Did the female that got noticeably darker return to normal color or has it stayed the same? Is it acting differently?

Algae is a huge topic. In and of itself, it won't cause harm to your fish and is actually a benefit to both adults and fry in terms of acting as part of a healthy aufwuchs and food source. Is the algae a problem that caused your female to darken--I'd say no. Is it a problem necessarily indicating poor tank health--again, I'd say no (unless we're talking about something on the scale of an ecological disaster and your tank is choked with the stuff, which isn't the case). The real "issue" with algae in general isn't that it's bad for our fish or our tanks (quite the opposite, in fact), but that we don't like the way it looks. :) 

Offline AsstToTheRegionalMgr

• Multifasciatus
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2017, 08:41:32 AM »
Kind of lightened up now but the random one that is always alone darkened up now. I'm guessing it's a non-issue since they are eating, active, and breeding  ???

Offline Vaw121

• Multifasciatus
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2017, 04:19:33 PM »
Mine do it as well. I've got about 40 fry of various sizes and it seems to happen like mentioned, around when the fry are in wriggler stage. I love my original 8 just wish they'd slow down a bit. I'll be moving them to a 75 soon and the 60 will be for grow out.