Author Topic: Water Changes with Shell Dwellers Multis  (Read 207 times)

Offline sulemanibnmoosa

• Brevis
    • View Profile
Water Changes with Shell Dwellers Multis
« on: October 03, 2017, 09:52:55 AM »
I am new to Cichlids and I am very keen on getting some Shell dwellers. I have kept a range of tropical freshwater species with plants successfully for the last few years.

I am a little concerned about water changes with Shell dwellers, if I am replacing 10-20% water can I use cold water from my tap? Can someone please break it down for me, as I am getting mixed ideas and some individuals are complicating the heck out of it  I am aware that you have to use Seachem buffers etc, I am in England, is anyone in England from here who has kept them successfully.. please help!
Suleman ibn Moosa
18.4 imperial gallon (22.190 US gallons) tank (Multi's)
16 imperial gallon tank with (Tetras)

Offline Rupert

• Ocellatus
    • View Profile
Re: Water Changes with Shell Dwellers Multis
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2017, 11:18:53 AM »
Hello and welcome. What are your challenges more specifically? Is there a reason that adjusting your replacement water for temp, give or take a couple degrees -/+, is an issue? For some folks it is, but there is generally a solution. What are your tap water parameters on pH and hardness? Those are the starting keys for choosing a strategy to amend (or not) your tap water.

While some Tanganyikans (especially fry) are more sensitive to water changes than others, the oft repeated, blanket suggestion that they can't handle water changes is way overblown. As far as multis, I have found both the adults and fry to be quite hardy. So long as the water going in has relatively the same parameters as the water coming out, most fish can handle large, regular water changes without issue. Depending on your setup and your tap water, it will be more or less complicated in terms of time and effort. Let us know a bit more about the particular obstacles you are seeing.

Online jerrytheplater

• Ornatipinnis
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2017, 02:49:54 PM »
Welcome to Shelldwellers. Rupert has said it well. Waiting for your additional information.
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ

http://www.njagc.net/wp/

Offline sulemanibnmoosa

• Brevis
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2017, 02:59:23 AM »
Good Morning, thank you for the reply, I am on UK time, so please bear with me.

I have an 18 gallon tank, I am filling the base with 1/2" of Aquarium sand, not using a coral base unless you think it shall help? Eheim 2213 external canister filter, Shells and probably 2 pairs. That's it quite light I think.

My tap water parameters are perfect and I am not to keen on using buffers, I'm all about realistic consistency. My main concern is that when I do water changes, I dont use buckets, I have a cold water tap set up and begin filling the 10 percent straight from the tap, as I do this I make sure the temp is withing a (+/-) 2/3 degrees, dechlorinator etc is added. This has worked really well with my freshwater setup and I find that the fish are a little more sprite when I do this. I rarely ever do anything more than 10 percent changes 2/3 times a week. In a nutshell what I am trying to say is; "would this be ok with Multis?" (single species tank)

I have watched and read reports videos etc and there are those who do the above and others who have drums of water etc ready for changes. 
Suleman ibn Moosa

Offline Rupert

• Ocellatus
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2017, 08:22:19 PM »
A 10% water change with water that is three degrees cooler than the tank isn't that big a deal. Especially if the water is circulating. Pretty much negligible. However, if you notice signs of stress/abnormal behavior during a water change then you would want to try to determine the cause and make appropriate changes to your routine. I actually match my replacement water for temp and I've never had a problem dumping in a bucket of water that was a couple degrees cooler than the tank. If the tap water is really cold, grab a 2 gallon watering can and fill it the day before. Then when you do your water change you have water that's at least room temp and you haven't really complicated anything other than finding a place to store a two gallon watering can. Just a thought. But you are right that there are a lot of approaches out there. Everything from pre-processing replacement water in huge drums to just hooking up a hose to the cold water tap and letting it go. 

Offline sulemanibnmoosa

• Brevis
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2017, 09:14:09 AM »
Thank you for the reply.

By the way on your set ups are you using an external canister filter? Also what sort of flow? Would you use a an Oxygen diffuser also?
Suleman ibn Moosa

Offline Rupert

• Ocellatus
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2017, 11:48:07 PM »
My multis are currently in a 40 breeder. Until recently I used a canister filter on the tank. Would still be using it if it hadn't stopped working properly. I had a spraybar on the return. Experimented with multiple spraybar placements. I encourage you to do the same. The layout of your tank and the performance of your filter will create an idiosyncratic situation. In my experience, multies are comfortable with low to moderate flow, but they will avoid strong currents. It will only take a few minutes for you to gauge the effect your return flow is having on your fish.

Could you describe a little more what you are referring to by "oxygen diffuser"? I'm tempted to assume you are talking about what gets called an air stone on this side of the pond. Though I know there are more sophisticated set ups. But in general, I don't think hobbyists need to supplement oxygen levels on typical aquariums--especially with low stocking levels. Gas exchange will occur across the surface of the water. So long as water is moving across the top, you're pretty much covered. That said, I do use air stones as the mood hits or if I don't feel like my filter placement is creating enough turbulence at the surface. In the case of air stones, any improvement they have on oxygen levels is more a result of the additional turbulence they create at the surface than by the bubbles travelling up through the water. A secondary use of airstones is to create current. As the bubbles rise they create flow. Sounds silly to say, I know. :) But if you have a "dead zone" in your tank, it's a simple fix to drop an air stone in that spot to get the water moving. Personally, I hate the hard water deposits the popping bubbles create on the rim of the tank, but they are not without their uses. Probably more than you wanted to know about whether I'd use an oxygen diffuser--but I'm just awful with one sentence answers. :)

Offline sulemanibnmoosa

• Brevis
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2017, 02:45:07 AM »
Good Morning

Thank you for the reply, I have my canister filter set up just waiting on the aragonite sand to be delivered! Exciting stuff!

I was referring to an air stone!
Suleman ibn Moosa

Offline sulemanibnmoosa

• Brevis
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2017, 06:35:52 AM »
Thank you for taking the time to reply
Suleman ibn Moosa

Offline KappaSoFish

• Brevis
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2017, 07:31:25 PM »
I have a 20 gallon with 4 adult multis and probably 30 fry of various ages, also 4 julidochromis transcriptus. I run an eheim canister and a sponge filter, and do 25% changes every 2-4 weeks with cold tap and never experienced any issues. Multis are very hardy in my opinion, especially the tank bred specimens that are typically kept.