Author Topic: Just saying Hello.  (Read 520 times)

Offline Dominic

• Brevis
    • View Profile
Re: Just saying Hello.
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2017, 05:32:38 PM »
Thanks for feedback Pilch.

Dom

Online jerrytheplater

• Ornatipinnis
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2017, 08:39:03 PM »
L. ocellatus plows the sand and could be injured by sharp sand. Multi's dig by picking up mouthfuls of sand and spit it out elsewhere. I have not seen my Multi's plowing. I have kept one more shell dweller and that was Telmatochromis temporalis "Shell". They dug by carrying mouthfuls as well.

Carib Sea lists which of their substrates are burrowing, digging fish friendly and which aren't.

I've never seen a fish get sand stuck in its gills. Maybe it happens, but I never heard of it. Hard to think of a fish swallowing something it didn't want to. I see mine take a large pellet in their mouth and grind it a bit in their grinding plates at the back of the mouth and then spit it out. I'd think they'd know what is not food and spit it out.
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ

http://www.njagc.net/wp/

Offline Dominic

• Brevis
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2017, 02:20:22 PM »
Jerry, many thanks for reply.

It was something that I read in an article on line. I know, I really need to stop taking everything that I see as gospel. I don't think the article was referring to the aragonite sand. I think that it was the crushed coral and they stated that the sharp edges could damage the gills. Have no idea why the fish would be taking mouthfuls of crushed coral or shells and then ejecting them through the gills, but like with most things on the internet. you take it on board and then let it influence you later on, lol.

Dominic

Online jerrytheplater

• Ornatipinnis
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2017, 10:31:51 PM »
Now I see the new policy Photobucket has breaks the links to the photo's we've posted. Bad news for me. Bummer.
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ

http://www.njagc.net/wp/