Author Topic: Did I set my tank up right?  (Read 154 times)

Offline christopherdiehl

• Multifasciatus
    • View Profile
Did I set my tank up right?
« on: July 07, 2017, 04:41:16 PM »
29g tank I set up for multies.   First shell dweller tank so I'm still learning.  I have an inch of crushed coral on the bottom and a couple of inches of national geographic white sand from pet smart on top of that.  Will that work?  I'm worried that they will start mixing the coral and the sand together. If I put another inch of sand in would that help or are they going to dig to the bottom no matter what?  visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Offline Olive

• Brevis
    • View Profile
Re: Did I set my tank up right?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2017, 08:48:44 PM »
They will mix the coral & sand.  In our bowfront tank we had sand in the front & small gravel in the back.  When the Multies started doing their landscaping they'd spit the sand onto the gravel & everything else.

Offline Miles44

• Charter Member
  • Charter Member
  • Shellie addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2017, 10:28:14 PM »
Maybe add more shells

Online deeda

• Ocellatus
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2017, 11:32:42 AM »
Too much sand and not enough shells.

I like less than an inch of sand and as many shells as you can lay on the bottom of the tank for Multies.
Dee

Offline Rupert

• Ocellatus
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2017, 12:17:39 PM »
The multis will definitely dig to the bottom. The substrate will definitely end up mixed together. No doubt about either. I actually prefer a mixed substrate look as it's less monochromatic and monotonous--and to my eye a bit more "natural" looking. But if the mixed look doesn't work for you, I'm not sure how you're going to prevent it at this point without redoing it altogether. Another inch of sand on top will not stop your multis from excavating straight to the bottom. Might slow them down by a few minutes, but that's it. :D

deeda posted while I was typing :) about sand depth. I wanted to share the same thought. I made the mistake of being overly generous with the substrate in my multi tank and I've actually ended up removing substrate over time. Multis will make huge mounds out of it. HUGE. :) I like a bit of "hills and valleys" but multis can really pile it up. And they will not hesitate to pile it on the front glass or right in front of your filter intake.

Also agree on the shells. The more shells the better as far as multis are concerned.

Offline christopherdiehl

• Multifasciatus
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2017, 01:36:32 PM »
I have more shells that I'll add.  I don't mind the mixed look of the substrate.  Can they really move crushed coral?  As far as the substrate depth goes will it be ok that I have as much as I do?  I like the hills and valleys also so that's not a concern of mine

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Offline Olive

• Brevis
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2017, 06:18:31 PM »
I posted some pictures of my Tang community tank in the newbee forum if you'd like to see the hills & valleys.