Author Topic: Multies Not Spawning  (Read 259 times)

Offline Pilch566

• Brevis
    • View Profile
Multies Not Spawning
« on: January 09, 2018, 08:28:32 AM »
Hello everyone.

I've had my 6 multies since March 2017 and they haven't spawned yet. They live in a 20 g long tank and I believe I have 4 males and 2 females. The substrate is covered with shells (there must be 80 - 100 shells, mostly escargot) so there is no lack of spawning sites. There are two Julies in with them but the Julies don't stray from their rocks.

I know I'm supposed to be patient but 9 months seems like a very long time when I read posts about multies spawning within weeks or a couple of months after adding them to a tank.

Your thoughts and recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Online Deaddawg

• Brevis
    • View Profile
Re: Multies Not Spawning
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2018, 06:48:50 PM »
If you got them from a local fish store most likely their all male. At least thats what mine did.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Online sebdeserio

• Brevis
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2018, 07:14:28 PM »
Yeah in my experience females are a lot smaller than you'd expect so you might have all males.

Offline Rupert

• Ornatipinnis
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2018, 08:54:46 PM »
Sure, patience is crucial in this hobby. But I think patience often gets associated with passivity. IMO, that's a mistake. For the sake of brevity I'll assume excellent water quality and nutrition. I'm also going to assume your fish are sexually mature and in good condition. And at 9+ months of age, I'm also going to assume you have accurately determined 4 males and 2 females.

I went back and did a quick review of your other posts. IMO, you've already toyed with the idea that first comes to my mind...get another 20 long and separate the multis and Julies. Pending how the multis do with more elbow room, I'd consider reducing the number of multi males.

Offline Pilch566

• Brevis
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2018, 08:13:45 AM »
Thanks for all the responses.

The two that I think are females are a bit smaller than the other four but not all that much smaller. Should the size difference between males and females be so apparent that you would know without having to guess?

It didn't occur to me that my LFS would have only males. I expected that they get their fish from some wholesaler that just randomly scoops out whatever number has been ordered. But now that you mention it, I suppose the LFS could have got these particular fish from a hobbyist that was getting rid of extra males.

I have been lazy and haven't checked the water chemistry so I will have to fix that.

Offline Rupert

• Ornatipinnis
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2018, 12:00:25 PM »
IME, after 9 months, yes, your males and females should be showing enough difference in size that you shouldn't have to guess. And it's not a matter of a couple millimeters. Your males will be longer and taller than your females by a clearly visible difference. Pic isn't the greatest but maybe it will help. (Extra notes: female on right is extra dark b/c she's on a recent spawn, fish just to the left of the female on the left side is a juvenile male.)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Pilch566

• Brevis
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2018, 05:39:10 AM »
That pic is really helpful. I clearly have all males.

What would you recommend to fix this situation? Should i just go back to the LFS and get another couple of fish, hoping that i het females?

Offline Rupert

• Ornatipinnis
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2018, 09:32:35 AM »
Well, bummer. I'd say it's worth at least approaching them with the conversation. Really, anything you can do to improve your odds of getting females instead of males would be the way to go. :)

Online Deaddawg

• Brevis
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2018, 05:46:54 PM »
When it happened to me i specifically asked for 1 male and 1 female then they said i need at least two females. I went ahead and bought two more the following week at $28.00 dollars a piece. They where all adults. 6 months later no fry.
I had no idea that the females where so small. Thank you for posting that pic. I bought 7 more off aquabid and it looks like at least 2 or females. Hopefully i get some fry.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Offline miulloj

• Multifasciatus
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2018, 08:29:19 PM »
 In my opinion and from what I have seen the best way to really tall if you have a female or male is simply by Behavior. Just look at them. The males will behave in an aggressive way to the other males. They will mock fight. But not really fight too hard.

Females will hardly ever if ever fight each other. They will also try to lure the males into the show. Size does matter and that can make a big difference but really behavior is even more reliable especially when they are all about the same size.

Offline Pilch566

• Brevis
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2018, 04:36:36 PM »
So I picked up another 6 from a different LFS and I think I got 3 males and 3 females in the batch. Although they were all pretty small (smaller than my first 6 were when I acquired them last year), 3 were even smaller than the others and the body shape was noticeably different. These were more of a bullet or torpedo shape than the other 3. I think the bullet shaped fish are the 3 females.

As to behavior, the original 6 chased the 3 that that I think are males and totally left the 3 bullet shaped ones alone.  Also, the bullet shaped fish hung much closer to the shell bed than the other 3.

I'm hoping to get a spawn soon but these ladies are really small and I don't think they will be mature for another couple of months. And then how do I catch the extra males?????

Online jerrytheplater

• Boulengeri
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2018, 08:03:33 PM »
Wait and see if any of them get pushed up to the surface. Get them then. Especially so since they may end up dying from the stress.
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ

http://www.njagc.net/wp/

My 30 Gallon Multi Tank: http://www.shelldwellers.com/index.php?topic=7566.0