Author Topic: Thoughts on my setup and stocking choices  (Read 128 times)

Offline Warfie

• Multifasciatus
    • View Profile
Thoughts on my setup and stocking choices
« on: February 10, 2018, 10:49:58 AM »
Just finished my rack system and have my 65 (36x18x24) cycling as my community "nano" tank. The 40 (36x18x16) has been set up, scaped and running a few weeks now.

Currently have 4 Black Devil Snails (FAUNUS ATER) in the tank, as I couldn't pass them up. ;D

The plan is to stock in this order until breeding starts, then add the next species. Shellies, not sure whether Multi's or Similis. Julie's "Bemba", and I'm partial to dark, if not blacks. And finish off with a pair of Synodontis Lucipinnis.

Hopefully, get everyone breeding and then throw in the predators to control population.

Offline Rupert

• Ornatipinnis
    • View Profile
Re: Thoughts on my setup and stocking choices
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2018, 12:26:27 PM »
I'm confused about what you are putting where.

In the meantime, whichever tank is getting the multis or similis is going to need shells. Lots of them. I don't see a shell bed in either tank.

As far as the Julies, their appearance will depend in part on their surroundings. Julies kept over bright substrate, with bright backgrounds, and bright rocks tend to "wash out" and lose depth in their pigmentation. Julies kept over dark substrate, with dark backgrounds, with heavily shadowed dark rocks tend to hold on to their dark markings better with more deeply saturated blacks.

Offline Warfie

• Multifasciatus
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2018, 09:20:06 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions and sorry for the confusion...

Yeah, I'm working on finding shells. Looking into Whale Eyes, 75 to 100 in sizes from 3/4" to 2 1/2", with most in the 1 1/2 to 2" range. They will be going in the 40 with the Julie's.

I didn't like the fully black sand, and definitely not the white. The mix seemed just right. I can add some black to it to darken it up if needed...

Hoping to get some algal growth on the rocks in time as I couldn't find large enough dark pieces of rock that had any character to them.

I'll keep the washout in mind when it comes time for the Julies.

Online jerrytheplater

• Boulengeri
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2018, 03:12:51 PM »
Welcome to the site!!

I just got rid of my four 11 year old S. lucipinnis that were in with the Multies in a 30 gallon tank. They controlled the Multi fry population 100%. You won't get any fry production at all with them in there. (I should say I did get 4 fry survive within the past year-but that is pitiful.)
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ

http://www.njagc.net/wp/

My 30 Gallon Multi Tank: http://www.shelldwellers.com/index.php?topic=7566.0

Offline Warfie

• Multifasciatus
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2018, 08:00:04 PM »
Thanks Jerry, I've been following your posts. How has it been going lately?

I get they will be predatory, and I'm OK with that. I think there has to be some balance I can find. Hoping a ton of shells and only 2 cats will get me close.

Any suggestions for "african" cats in the 2"-3" range?

Someone needs to work on breeding "dwarf" versions of fish. I would love angels and some of the larger cats to be half their size...  ;)

Online jerrytheplater

• Boulengeri
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2018, 02:37:04 PM »
I don't know of any smaller African cats off the top of my head.

The cats get the fry at night when they are really active. If any fry get to the point where they are not at the bottom, they will have a chance.
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ

http://www.njagc.net/wp/

My 30 Gallon Multi Tank: http://www.shelldwellers.com/index.php?topic=7566.0