Author Topic: Adventures in my new 55 gallon Multi colony  (Read 973 times)

Offline Rupert

• Ornatipinnis
    • View Profile
Re: Adventures in my new 55 gallon Multi colony
« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2017, 03:47:11 PM »
Was down on my knees with my nose practically mashed against the front of the tank the other day and I spotted fry from the female who hasn't spawned in months. Not entirely sure what changed, but glad I left her to make her unique contribution to the colony in her own way. :) She's always been the secretive, mysterious one.

Online Olive

• Ocellatus
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 14, 2017, 10:10:45 AM »
Rupert, its funny you posted that you've finally seen some fry from the female who hasn't spawned in months.  You know how I've noticed all the fry action on the left side of my tank?  Well earlier this week I saw a larger baby on the right side of the tank that seemed slightly smaller than the larger baby on the left side.  I thought, "Where did you come from?" Then a couple days ago I noticed a couple fry on the sand on the right side.

Does anyone feed the fry anything special to encourage faster growth?  Maybe I'm just used to live-bearers growth rates & need to be more patient.  By the time baby guppies, for example, are a couple months old they're bigger than the oldest multi fry I have.

Offline jerrytheplater

• Ornatipinnis
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 14, 2017, 10:00:09 PM »
I don't do anything special for my fry. I usually am surprised when I see them since they mostly get eaten by the Synodontis.
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ

http://www.njagc.net/wp/

Offline Rupert

• Ornatipinnis
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 15, 2017, 06:00:05 PM »
Whatever the species, the two most impactful things you can do to encourage growth are
1) Water changes. Lots and lots of water changes.
2) Food. Small amounts multiple times a day. If nothing else, try to fit in twice instead of once.

But really, yep, patience is key. Nothing you do will make them grow as fast as guppies. :)

Online Olive

• Ocellatus
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 20, 2017, 11:43:15 PM »
I was finally able to get some pictures. Because of their size I'll only be able to post them one at a time.  On the right side of this picture are the 2 large Tonna shells.  I was only able to get one of the half dozen babies in this picture.  It's in front of the closest whale eye shell to the larger Multi.

Online Olive

• Ocellatus
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 20, 2017, 11:48:07 PM »
The next picture is on the far left side of the tank.  The largest Multi is from the 46 gallon.  The next two down are a male & female from the online order.  The smallest one right in front of the lava rock with an Anubias growing out of it is the oldest & largest of the fry.

Online Olive

• Ocellatus
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 20, 2017, 11:53:29 PM »
This picture is of the same oldest fry but zoomed in a bit more than the previous post.  I used my phone's camera to take these.  I know they aren't the best.  The delay from touching the button to when the picture is actually taken gave the fish time to move from where they were when I took the picture.

Offline jerrytheplater

• Ornatipinnis
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 21, 2017, 09:23:06 AM »
Nice Olive. I found taking video's helps if you don't have a good still camera and good lighting.
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ

http://www.njagc.net/wp/

Online Olive

• Ocellatus
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 15, 2017, 09:16:06 AM »
Well there are 2 new broods on the left side of the tank between the 2 couples over there that are a couple days apart.  The right side I haven't seen any babies since I posted seeing some in October.

Offline Rupert

• Ornatipinnis
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 17, 2017, 01:17:08 AM »
Growing, growing, growing. :) Watching a multi colony take shape is just plain fun fish keeping.

Where are you at as far as your goals for the tank at this point? I've been known to change my goals for a tank between breakfast and supper. :) Just curious where you want it to go at the moment. 

Online Olive

• Ocellatus
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 17, 2017, 10:10:13 PM »
I figured it'd be a species tank.  Since Multies have been so hard to find locally, it would be nice to be able to have enough one day to sell on a regular basis to the couple of LFS near me. 

The 6 juvies we purchased have grown.  It looks like out of the 8 multies in there now there are 5 males & 3 females.  One female isn't really picky so there are 2 of the males that hang out with her.  I still have one male that is alone on the far right of the tank.  I feel kinda bad for him.

Offline Rupert

• Ornatipinnis
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 20, 2017, 11:33:00 AM »
You'll certainly end up with enough to sell. Right now anyway, the demand for them seems quite good. They require some patience since they have small spawns and take a bit of time to grow, but they are such an interesting fish to have around I just enjoy the tank and thin when I need. Plus, you'll want a nice big colony to fill the tank and that will take some time as well. Even so, in the year and a half I've had mine (and I started with juveniles) I've sold something like 50 of them now. So it doesn't take forever to get to a point where you can move some on. Actually, you'll get to a point where you'll need to move some on to keep from overcrowding. I've found that trying to keep too many sexually mature fish (despite their colonial nature) really inflates territorial aggression levels. Also, and I'm still working through my personal observations on this, I noticed that when I removed like 16-20 fish at once--that were between like 3/8" to 1/2"--I seemed to get a spike in fry numbers shortly after.