Author Topic: New guy  (Read 613 times)

Offline BersaSigG

• Brevis
    • View Profile
Re: New guy
« Reply #30 on: November 02, 2017, 08:35:05 PM »
OK, new update. This past weekend/week have been eventful. I didn't end up making the divider but I decided to remove the shells and rearrange the rocks. On top of this, I went to my LFS and got 3 more leleupi. So now, there are 5 leleupi and 1 Juli. There was some initial chasing but everyone has settled into their zones. The largest leleupi is all the way on the right, the next biggest  the 2nd from the right, one has shacked up in the hole in the square rock in the middle, the Juli has the large rock work on the left and shares a little with the other 2 leleupi. It's been interesting and I think I need a few more rocks to fill out the scape.. I'm not sure. visitors can't see pics , please register or login
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Sent from some sketchy alley using a potato.

Offline Rupert

• Ornatipinnis
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 04, 2017, 01:52:39 PM »
When I'm working on display tanks, I try to lean into the rule of thirds. If I've got a tank that seems off or unbalanced the rule of thirds usually helps. It's easier though if you've got a display of angel fish or guppies that aren't going to be upset if you move things around and change caves. :) Looking at your tank, I'd add more height to the left. More rocks, a tall plant, or both would fill out the scape as you say. The prefab caves in the center...all I see is Cookie Monster staring out at me from behind a rock, LOL. Crazy I know, but once it flashed into my mind I haven't been able to un-see it. :)

Are you still planning on a shellie? With your current configuration, you're going to be a bit challenged to get space separating their territory from the rock territories. I've seen examples where it works out, but it's something to think about. Also, are all your rocks sitting on top of the substrate or are they supported by rocks hidden beneath it? Multis will make it their life mission to excavate substrate--whether it's under shells or under rocks. Not a critical issue unless you're stacked tall on a narrow footing, but something to consider while you're planning and keep an eye on. I don't see it brought up as often as a concern, but Julies will also move substrate from under or around rocks.

Glad to hear your tank has found a balance. Now you just need to get your shellies in there! :)

Offline BersaSigG

• Brevis
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 04, 2017, 02:00:59 PM »
When I'm working on display tanks, I try to lean into the rule of thirds. If I've got a tank that seems off or unbalanced the rule of thirds usually helps. It's easier though if you've got a display of angel fish or guppies that aren't going to be upset if you move things around and change caves. :) Looking at your tank, I'd add more height to the left. More rocks, a tall plant, or both would fill out the scape as you say. The prefab caves in the center...all I see is Cookie Monster staring out at me from behind a rock, LOL. Crazy I know, but once it flashed into my mind I haven't been able to un-see it. :)

Are you still planning on a shellie? With your current configuration, you're going to be a bit challenged to get space separating their territory from the rock territories. I've seen examples where it works out, but it's something to think about. Also, are all your rocks sitting on top of the substrate or are they supported by rocks hidden beneath it? Multis will make it their life mission to excavate substrate--whether it's under shells or under rocks. Not a critical issue unless you're stacked tall on a narrow footing, but something to consider while you're planning and keep an eye on. I don't see it brought up as often as a concern, but Julies will also move substrate from under or around rocks.

Glad to hear your tank has found a balance. Now you just need to get your shellies in there! :)
Ya, definitely need more rocks. I'm only keeping "cookie monster" because it an extra hiding spot until I have more rocks. I am still very into wanting shells but I'll be damned if no one closed than Staten island has them. (2.5 hr drive from me). Looking into shipping but I'd rather just get them in person. The rocks are on the substrate but dug down into it a bit. I've noticed some digging but not enough to have disturbed the stability yet. I was thinkin it might work if I had shells up front, rocks to the back but the tank seems a bit to narrow for that. We'll see... But other than some gill flaring between leleupi and the Juli chasing a little, all is going well in here. visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline jerrytheplater

• Ornatipinnis
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 06, 2017, 08:16:53 PM »
If I were you, I would reseat all of your rocks on a firm foundation on top of egg crate. Leleupi dig too. They will undermine your rocks and they could fall and crack your glass. When I have stacked rocks, I always start at the bottom and add the substrate last. I shake the tank as I stack to be sure nothing moves.

Here's a shot of the underside of a 75-90 lb rock in my 65 gallon tank. You can see it is on egg crate. I used a small rock to get the angle I wanted for the rock. There is about a 2 inch gap between the glass and the rock. It is excavated out now.

Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ

http://www.njagc.net/wp/

Offline BersaSigG

• Brevis
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 07, 2017, 08:20:42 AM »
General question here, I have a leleupi that baracades their cave entrance nightly. Usually it's reopened by the morning but this morning it was still baracaded and the fish wasn't coming out for feeding. Thought this was kinda odd... I didn't get a Pic of it piled up but Pic 2 is after I cleared the cave myself. The fish still didn't come out and seemed to look at me like I was the jerk.. visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline jerrytheplater

• Ornatipinnis
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 07, 2017, 07:57:24 PM »
I have really gotten a good chuckle about what your leleupi is thinking about you  ;D ;D

I can't say I've seen my fish barricade themselves into a cave, but I have seen them defend a cave. Is there a back entrance to the cave that they can get out by? I think I'd just let the fish do its thing. When it gets hungry enough, it will come out. I doubt it is trying to be a hermit and withdraw from the world.

Just thought a little more: Is the cave 100% closed over, or is there a small opening left for the fish to enter or leave? Maybe it's just making a cave more to its liking and really is upset at you for causing it extra work  8) 8) 
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ

Offline BersaSigG

• Brevis
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 07, 2017, 08:07:17 PM »
I have really gotten a good chuckle about what your leleupi is thinking about you  ;D ;D

I can't say I've seen my fish barricade themselves into a cave, but I have seen them defend a cave. Is there a back entrance to the cave that they can get out by? I think I'd just let the fish do its thing. When it gets hungry enough, it will come out. I doubt it is trying to be a hermit and withdraw from the world.

Just thought a little more: Is the cave 100% closed over, or is there a small opening left for the fish to enter or leave? Maybe it's just making a cave more to its liking and really is upset at you for causing it extra work  8) 8)
I believe the cave is fully closed off. It is the rock standing up on the right in the Pic. I put it how it is because I knew it was make them a great cave. I don't know man, he keeps giving me that stink eye.. visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline jerrytheplater

• Ornatipinnis
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 07, 2017, 08:26:50 PM »
The front right rock is the cave? Is this from another view? Your first photo looked like it was the rock in the middle on Nov. 2.

Anyway, if it is the front right rock, that cave is way too open to be of interest to a fish to spawn in. They can't guard it.

When fish dig, they take pieces of substrate in their mouth and carry it away from where they are digging. Then they spit it out. It forms a pile eventually. Maybe the leleupi was digging out the cave to make it a little deeper and the substrate you saw in front of the hole was from that activity. Maybe there was a slight area left for it to get out.
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ

Offline BersaSigG

• Brevis
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 07, 2017, 08:29:13 PM »
The front right rock is the cave? Is this from another view? Your first photo looked like it was the rock in the middle on Nov. 2.

Anyway, if it is the front right rock, that cave is way too open to be of interest to a fish to spawn in. They can't guard it.

When fish dig, they take pieces of substrate in their mouth and carry it away from where they are digging. Then they spit it out. It forms a pile eventually. Maybe the leleupi was digging out the cave to make it a little deeper and the substrate you saw in front of the hole was from that activity. Maybe there was a slight area left for it to get out.
When I took the shells out, I rearranged and the one on the right was put into the middle where stink eye now lives. I'm assuming he's digging out the inside and putting it out the only exit available. I guess I was just wondering why he wasn't clearing it away to leave an exit.

Offline jerrytheplater

• Ornatipinnis
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 07, 2017, 08:57:48 PM »
Makes sense now. The female leleupi stays in the cave. Could be this is a female claiming a territory.
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ

Offline BersaSigG

• Brevis
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 07, 2017, 08:58:48 PM »
Makes sense now. The female leleupi stays in the cave. Could be this is a female claiming a territory.
Maybe. I'll keep an eye out. I hope I've got a good mix of males to females. Fry would be awesome!

Offline BersaSigG

• Brevis
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 12, 2017, 11:16:34 AM »
UPDATE! Through joining the New England Cichlid Association I ended up getting contacted by a member in Worcester Mass who had some! So, yesterday, I went up to Wet Pets in Vernon CT to get my fish. Luckily, she was willing to meet me half way between Worcester and Waterbury. Also, she gave me a hell of a deal. Initially she said $45 for 6 but I ended up giving her $60 because she did drive down to me.

Now my issue is every so often either the Juli or the largest Leleupi will come over and chase the Similis. I assume it should only last a few days because they're working out the new guys place in the tank but the overbearing parent in me is still a worry-wort. visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Rupert

• Ornatipinnis
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 12, 2017, 12:24:05 PM »
Congrats! :D Fish clubs for the win.

When dealing with cichlids that can and will harass each other to death, if not outright kill each other, I think it's a perfectly rational response to be a worry wart when new fish go into a tank. :) Enjoy!

Offline jerrytheplater

• Ornatipinnis
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 13, 2017, 09:04:50 PM »
Great news. Hope to hear news of spawning soon.

I'll be driving right by Reins New York Style Deli next Monday on the way up to NH. My parents would always stop there on the way to Maine and my youngest sister. We'll be eating lunch there. I've been to Wet Pets too. Certainly not local, but doable. The Connecticut Cactus and Succulent Society holds a spring show/sale at the Naugatuck Valley Community College. I've been up there for that maybe 5 times so far.
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ

Offline BersaSigG

• Brevis
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 18, 2017, 10:18:25 AM »
New Update!

The shells are doing great. I'm concerned for one bc he's just digging in the sand and not incorporating any escargot shells but I guess to each his own.. Lol.

But, since they are doing well, of course there's gotta be an issue somewhere else. During feedings the last day and a half to 2 days, I've only counted 4 out of my 5 leleupi. At each feeding I've used a flashlight to search in and around rocks and couldn't find it. I had assumed at this point that it had dug under a rock and it fell on it. However, my ammonia levels are fine so there couldn't be anything dead in there. I was really confused. Then, this morning, I spotted her. She had dug a hole and made a cave under a rock I hadn't expected. When she swam away, I saw a small pink orb on the sand in the hole. It turns out she had layed eggs and was now protecting them while they gestate! Now, I'm not getting myself too excited concidering I got these fish as juveniles so I'm presuming this is her first batch but it's still exciting as hell! The last picture you can see her male guarding the cave and the edge of one of her fins inside! Can wait to see some little guys swimming around. I just hope the Juli isn't too much of a jerk and kills the fry... If that ends up being the case, I might have to rehome him.. visitors can't see pics , please register or login