Author Topic: First Multie Tank!  (Read 230 times)

Offline Doggbit

• Multifasciatus
    • View Profile
First Multie Tank!
« on: October 12, 2017, 01:02:21 PM »
I just set up my first multie tank. It’s a 90L UNS tank with >30 escargot shells and 7 multies. I have wanted these fish for a while, but couldn’t find any at LFS’s in my area. I finally found these at The Wet Spot online. I’m glad I got them, because these little fish are so much fun to watch! They’ve been in the tank a little over a week now, and they’ve already rearranged the tank and buried some shells. I am hoping to see babies in the next few months becuse the tank looks so empty with only 7 tiny fish!

Offline jerrytheplater

• Ornatipinnis
    • View Profile
Re: First Multie Tank!
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2017, 08:54:19 PM »
Welcome to the site and congratulations on your new tank. How did you cycle it? Do you have other tanks?
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ

http://www.njagc.net/wp/

Offline Doggbit

• Multifasciatus
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2017, 09:27:13 PM »
Thanks! And yes, I have three other tanks. I used some established media from another tank to cycle this one, and let it run empty before adding fish so that I got a little algae growth.

Right now my trumpet snails are happily munching away at the diatom algae that’s turning my sand brown. I am adding in Yellow Rabbit Snails tomorrow and hope they get along alright with the multies. If not, I have a backup tank for them.

Offline jerrytheplater

• Ornatipinnis
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2017, 10:46:38 PM »
What are you keeping in your other tanks?
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ

Offline Doggbit

• Multifasciatus
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2017, 09:17:46 AM »
I have a betta tank, a crystal red shrimp tank, and a community fish planted tank.

Offline jerrytheplater

• Ornatipinnis
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2017, 03:25:15 PM »
Nice. Any planted tank clubs near you? SFBAAPS is one but don't know if its near you.  http://www.sfbaaps.org/join.html

How about fish clubs? Great places to learn and trade fish and plants too.
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ

Offline Rupert

• Ornatipinnis
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2017, 03:35:58 PM »
In my multi tank, I have a pond snail here and there, a trumpet snail here and there, and some assassin snails. I occasionally see an assassin snail that's been tossed on its back atop a mound of sand, multi fingerprints all over it, but there's really no issues. The fish spawn as expected and though I can't prove it with experimental evidence, I don't believe there is a concern about eggs or fry. I've never seen a multi go after any of them with murderous intent, but they'll determinedly move them outside their zone of concern--same as they do with a pebble they don't care for or a piece of plant. Have no experience with rabbit snails and not sure how they compare in size to assassins.

Keep your eye on that filter intake. Multis will happily decide to start spitting mouthfuls of sand butt-clenchingly close. It's a game for them and most likely to start while you're not watching. They'll defiantly continue after you make the discovery until your filter grinds to a halt or your head explodes or both. You may want to contemplate some kind of prefilter screen or sponge, if a filter full of sand isn't your cup of tea. IME, it's pretty much an absolute certainty to happen.

Welcome to the forum. Would love to see a pic of how the tank looks now that the multis have been landscaping. They are industrious little buggers. You'll have a tank full before you know it. :)

Offline Miles44

• Charter Member
  • Charter Member
  • Shellie addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2017, 04:44:51 PM »
The tank and fish look great! How was it ordering with the wet spot?

Offline Doggbit

• Multifasciatus
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2017, 03:01:00 PM »
Rupert, great idea. They've all set up shells on the side of the tank opposite the filter intake, but I'm covering it now with a sponge so that I don't have to deal with issues later!

Miles, ordering from the Wet Spot pretty easy. I placed an order Monday morning and got the fish the next morning. Shipping overnight was <$40, which I found to be a pretty fair price. All the fish seem healthy and all acclimated pretty quickly to the tank. I have never ordered fish online before, but I would definitely do it again.