Author Topic: Setting up a 55 gallon Multifasciatus tank, a few questions!  (Read 94 times)

Offline css49014

• Multifasciatus
    • View Profile
Setting up a 55 gallon Multifasciatus tank, a few questions!
« on: November 08, 2017, 11:00:18 PM »
I am picking up my 10 Multifasciatus at the airport tomorrow from BlueChipAquatics, Chip is AWESOME if you need fish check them out!

I have set up a 55 gallon with 40lbs of Carib Sea African Sahara Sand
40+ Escargot shells
20+ Whale Eye shells
6+ Large land shells
Black Lava rock wall in one corner

Eheim Pro 4+ 600 Filter
Fluval 48 inch Aquasky LED
Hydor inline 200W Heater

My water is hard well water,  I have set up a 55 gallon can in the utility room to have full of water with another Fluvial E300 heater in it to match my tanks temp when I do water changes, also have a Penn Plax Cascade 600 Submersible with carbon in it keeping the water turning over until I use it.

Question...Is the Pro+ 600 over kill for the 55?  I have the water flow turned all the way down so there is not a lot of flow at the bottom of the tank.

Also have a male betta having fun in the tank,  he has is floating log up top he sleeps in but he likes to explore the Lava Rock caves,  lets hope the multies leave him alone :-)

I also have some Anacharis and some Val coming to put along the back of the tank.

Any suggestions on something I could do different to improve?

Offline jerrytheplater

• Ornatipinnis
    • View Profile
Re: Setting up a 55 gallon Multifasciatus tank, a few questions!
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2017, 11:25:25 PM »
Welcome to the site. A photo or three of your tank would be great.

40 lbs of sand in a 55 seems a bit skimpy to me. Deeper substrate will allow more digging by your Multies. They love to dig.

Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ

http://www.njagc.net/wp/

Offline BersaSigG

• Brevis
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2017, 08:27:35 AM »
Are bettas OK with the high pH needed for the multis? Just did a little Googling and read that bettas like 6.5 - 7 pH while multis prefer. 7.5 - 9. Not trying to be a jerk, just genuinely curious. My wife has been lookin at betta and if I just just put one in my tanganyikan tank, that would make thing easier than setting up another tank.

Sent from some sketchy alley using a potato.

Offline css49014

• Multifasciatus
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2017, 11:12:52 AM »
My betta is having a blast in the tank,  he likes to swim through the lava rock caves and around the heater,  when he see's me he begs for food and is a piggy so might not be the best ph or hardness level for him but he is thriving.

He will get 10 new friends tonight after I get back from the airport,  hopefully they will leave each other alone or back the to 10 gallon he goes.