Author Topic: Clean Up Crews  (Read 86 times)

Offline BersaSigG

• Brevis
    • View Profile
Clean Up Crews
« on: November 10, 2017, 10:36:09 PM »
What do you guys use for your clean up crews? I know a lot of things wont get along with the shellies with respect to bottom dwellers. So, are the only options snails, crabs, or shrimp? I've read that shellies will actually pick up and move snails away from their territories! Will the snails eventually "learn" to stay away? Just curious.

I recently started weaning my fish onto flakes; they seem to only like freeze dried brine shrimp. But having a Julidochromis in the tank means i need to include foods with plants incorporated. It seems like everyone but the Juli hates pellets but everyone seems to be doing ok with flakes but always leave a bit floating around; hence the clean up crew question. Wondering what everyone else uses.

Offline Rupert

• Ornatipinnis
    • View Profile
Re: Clean Up Crews
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2017, 12:02:34 PM »
My tanks have a pond snail here and there, Malaysian trumpets, and assassin snails. If you don't overfeed and cause a population explosion, I like 'em and put them in the plus column. I've tried red cherry shrimp, but I don't recommend it unless you have a tank of them and get them for free. They don't last long with the multis. Have watched an adult male multi swim around with a full grown red cherry shrimp hanging half way out of its mouth. One of my Julie tanks decimates shrimp really quickly unless I throw in a big wad of hornwort for the shrimp to hide in. In another Julie tank, I see the adult shrimp out during the day working over that tank. They even work the perimeter of the spawning rock pile in full view of the Julies. The small shrimp are being eaten, I'm sure, but the adults aren't actively hunted in that tank (have had two males and three females in there for over two months now). I'm not going to be surprised though to look in one day and not see any shrimp. :)

For the most part though, unless you are overfeeding which is super easy for anybody to do and a lot of people do it without even realizing it, your fish are going to scavenge the random bits of leftover food relatively quickly. It's not really going to build up and become a problem. Which is not to say anyone should be mindlessly throwing fistfuls of food at their tanks :) or that they should starve their fish. Ya just gotta find the Goldilocks ration--and that holds for flake, pellets or live.

Offline jerrytheplater

• Ornatipinnis
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2017, 06:20:16 PM »
I have Synodontis lucipinnis in my Multi tank, but I don't recommend it. They eat the fry.
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ

http://www.njagc.net/wp/

Offline JarmFace

• Brevis
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2017, 10:19:14 AM »
I have MTS in my multi tank. They seem to do a fine job of keeping things cleaned up. And, by the way, they don't learn to keep out of the shell pits. I see them discarded in "no fish land" between territories every day. It doesn't seem to bother them too much.

As far as shrimp are concerned, I wouldn't recommend it. I feed my Red Rili culls to my shellies. I can't get much credit for the shrimp at my LFS (ones that have a plain Cherry Shrimp pattern) so I use them as fish food. I'm amazed at what the males can eat. The smaller ladies certainly surprise me as well.