Author Topic: Keeping different species of shell dwellers together  (Read 150 times)

Offline Willdog2323

• Multifasciatus
    • View Profile
Keeping different species of shell dwellers together
« on: January 04, 2018, 12:18:19 PM »
I was at my lfs today and I found both neo. brevis and caudopunctatus. I was wondering if it is possible to keep these two species together. The tank I would use is a 28 gallon bowfront which is 24 inched by 14 inches. I currently have a lot of rock work in there which Iím thinking will help reduce aggression if I were to do this would it be better to take all or some of the rock work it to give more area for shells? This will be my second shell dweller tank as I already have one a 20 long with simillis. My last question is how many of each species should I start with to ensure a pair. Should I just buy the biggest and smallest of each species or a small group? Sorry for all the questions I just want to make sure I have all the information before I pull the trigger.

Online jerrytheplater

• Boulengeri
    • View Profile
Re: Keeping different species of shell dwellers together
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2018, 09:20:30 PM »
Welcome to the site. How long have you had the simillis?

To ensure you have a pair you should at least get 4-6 fish. If they are the same spawn then size could help, but if two spawns, then that is no help. Your odds of getting all of one sex with four fish are calculated by multiplying 1/2 x 1/2 x 1/2 x1/2. This is because each choice can be either a male or a female. 1/16 or 0.0625 or 6.25% chance of getting four males when buying four fish of an evenly sexually distributed batch of fish.

I would stick with one species per tank. Some males guard a square meter of bottom in Lake Tanganyika. Most of our tanks are much smaller than this.
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ

http://www.njagc.net/wp/

Offline Willdog2323

• Multifasciatus
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2018, 10:28:12 PM »
Alright thanks for the information now I guess I just need to decide what species would be better. I have had the simillis since May I think.

Offline Tiny Tangs

• Multifasciatus
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2018, 08:45:15 PM »
I was at my lfs today and I found both neo. brevis and caudopunctatus. I was wondering if it is possible to keep these two species together. The tank I would use is a 28 gallon bowfront which is 24 inched by 14 inches. I currently have a lot of rock work in there which Iím thinking will help reduce aggression if I were to do this would it be better to take all or some of the rock work it to give more area for shells? This will be my second shell dweller tank as I already have one a 20 long with simillis. My last question is how many of each species should I start with to ensure a pair. Should I just buy the biggest and smallest of each species or a small group? Sorry for all the questions I just want to make sure I have all the information before I pull the trigger.

Just out of curiosity, where are you located in IL and what store did you visit? Have you ever been to a GCCA swap event? Usually, you can find a decent mix shell dwelling species.

Offline Willdog2323

• Multifasciatus
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2018, 08:47:26 PM »
I actually got my simillis at the GCCA swap meet. But the store I usually go to is called fish planet in Deerfield.

Offline Olive

• Ocellatus
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2018, 10:11:05 PM »
I have a 46 gallon bowfront tank with Similis, Julies, "Punks", & Cyps.  The "punks" & Similis have territories near each other & will chase each other off every so often but that's about it.