Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ

http://www.njagc.net/wp/

Offline Rupert

• Ornatipinnis
    • View Profile
Re: New guy
« Reply #46 on: November 20, 2017, 11:38:04 AM »
Good times. :) There's almost always a balancing act between maximizing fry survival and having a community tank. 

Offline BersaSigG

• Brevis
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 05, 2017, 05:36:45 PM »
I've got quite an update once I get home and can take some new pics.

Sent from some sketchy alley using a potato.

Offline BersaSigG

• Brevis
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 06, 2017, 08:16:37 AM »
It's been a few weeks since my last update so I'll recap what's been going on. I found the shellies thanks to NECA (my first meeting is this Saturday) and have added them to the tank. It's been awesome to see them dig around and make their territories. I had one that was left out and swam above that side of the tank but I stole some shells from around the tank and made a divit for him/her. Luckily, it took to the new space and now all the similis have territories. Apparently, while I was concentrating on the shellies, I failed to notice one leleupi hiding in a cave for a while. Upon investigation with a flashlight, I found at least 5 little wiggly bodies inside the cave. My biggest concerns now are 1) getting proper food down and near the cave for the fry, and 2) keeping the julidochromis away from the cave so it doesn't eat the fry like I'm sure it would if it could. Once my wife saw the fry, she immediately said we had to get a 2nd tank to move "Julie" to to avoid such a situation. We went to my LFS and picked up a 12x12x12 8gal cube for him/her. It's all set up but the only problem is catching the crafty bastard... I took a video of the fry but it keeps failing to upload here. I'll put it on YouTube and then link it. visitors can't see pics , please register or login
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline BersaSigG

• Brevis
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 06, 2017, 08:20:34 AM »
It's been a few weeks since my last update so I'll recap what's been going on. I found the shellies thanks to NECA (my first meeting is this Saturday) and have added them to the tank. It's been awesome to see them dig around and make their territories. I had one that was left out and swam above that side of the tank but I stole some shells from around the tank and made a divit for him/her. Luckily, it took to the new space and now all the similis have territories. Apparently, while I was concentrating on the shellies, I failed to notice one leleupi hiding in a cave for a while. Upon investigation with a flashlight, I found at least 5 little wiggly bodies inside the cave. My biggest concerns now are 1) getting proper food down and near the cave for the fry, and 2) keeping the julidochromis away from the cave so it doesn't eat the fry like I'm sure it would if it could. Once my wife saw the fry, she immediately said we had to get a 2nd tank to move "Julie" to to avoid such a situation. We went to my LFS and picked up a 12x12x12 8gal cube for him/her. It's all set up but the only problem is catching the crafty bastard... I took a video of the fry but it keeps failing to upload here. I'll put it on YouTube and then link it. visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Online jerrytheplater

• Boulengeri
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 06, 2017, 05:44:41 PM »
I have spot fed my leleupi by using a 1" dia. plastic tube long enough to reach the bottom and be at least a few inches above the water surface. Drop the food in the tube and it will sink right down to where you place the bottom. Nobody else can eat it as it sinks.
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ

Offline Rupert

• Ornatipinnis
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 07, 2017, 12:13:50 AM »
There is nothing more exciting than fry. :)

And maybe having one or four survive.

Do you have one tank with four species or four species in separate tanks?

Offline BersaSigG

• Brevis
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 07, 2017, 07:49:53 AM »
There is nothing more exciting than fry. :)

And maybe having one or four survive.

Do you have one tank with four species or four species in separate tanks?
I have the 75 with 3 species but I've been trying to catch the julidochromis to move it out of that tank and into the other one since it's such a fan of harassing the other ones.

Offline Rupert

• Ornatipinnis
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 08, 2017, 10:36:50 AM »
I dropped an entire paragraph of thoughts and so my question made no sense. LOL. Sorry. I was trying to get at the idea that there is always a tension between having a community tank and maximizing fry survival. For some folks, fish are far more interesting when there's conflict and defensive behaviors to watch. For others, it's more interesting to set up species only and focus on fry. Nothing wrong with either. But one tank with three species is certainly a different experience than three tanks with a single species each.

Have you caught the Julie yet? I find that dropping the water level to half and using a divider is really helpful. The key is to corral it away from the rocks, lol. Easier said than done. Laying out a pile of towels and buckets and emptying half your hardscape is usually easier than trying to net a healthy cichlid from a tank of hiding spaces. :)

Offline BersaSigG

• Brevis
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 08, 2017, 11:04:38 AM »

Have you caught the Julie yet? I find that dropping the water level to half and using a divider is really helpful. The key is to corral it away from the rocks, lol. Easier said than done. Laying out a pile of towels and buckets and emptying half your hardscape is usually easier than trying to net a healthy cichlid from a tank of hiding spaces. :)

Haven't caught the bastard yet. I tried using a water bottle with food in it to trap him but no dice. My plan was to pull out rocks this weekend and corral him properly.

As for the leleupi, one has found a new rock to hide in and another has taken to the turned off circulation fan. I originally set it up thinking the tank needed more movement but it seems like the shellies were having to work harder to stay in place so I turned it off. The personalities of all of theses fish have really come out and I'm loving it. One of the leleupi will even come to the glass and greet me. It's pretty cool.

Now I've just got to decide if I want to invest in growing baby brine shrimp to ensure the fry get proper food...

Offline Rupert

• Ornatipinnis
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 08, 2017, 01:22:17 PM »
You mentioned going to NECA. You might find someone who'll sell you a sample size portion of brine shrimp eggs for a few bucks. You can check out the process and see how you like it. Working with live foods can be an art in itself. It's good to explore options and see what works for you.

Hear you on getting the right flow for shellies. They don't seem to appreciate it if it's too strong.

I've never had good luck with using home made traps for anything--fish, shrimp, or snails. And with a bad back and arthritic hands, spending time hunched over a tank waving a net around is the opposite of a good time. Now I just drop the water and grab a divider and be done with it. Finding a divider to use can take some time and creativity, but they can really make your life easier when you need to net a fish. I'm sure you'll get that Julie sooner or later.

Online jerrytheplater

• Boulengeri
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 08, 2017, 03:15:05 PM »
I have raised plenty of fry on dry and frozen food recently (the past 15 years). When I was in HS I raised Brine Shrimp in a 5 gallon glass water bottle upside down with the bottom cut off. Sorry, no photo's. We soaked a cotton string in gasoline and tied it around the bottom of the water bottle. Lit the string and let it burn a bit. Plunge it flaming into a styrofoam fish shipping box filled with ice water. The bottom cracks right off. Polish the sharp edge with a diamond honing stone or Silicon Carbide abrasive paper.  Modern plastic bottles will be much easier to cut!!!

I grind dry pellets fed to the adults in a mortar and pestle and add flavor enhancers like Entice. I drop this crushed food into the fry pit through the plastic tube. Do this for about 3 weeks and you can graduate to larger particles and finely chopped frozen food. I even have seen a Synodontis lucipinnis reach mature size without doing anything special. It survived to 3/4" before I even knew it was there.
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ

Offline BersaSigG

• Brevis
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 10, 2017, 06:59:40 PM »
Caught him! It took some doing including pulling all the rocks out but the julidochromis is successfully in the new tank. He seems either angry at me or stressed from the move because he's been hiding under that rock for hours. I'm sure he'll emerge when he's ready. Meanwhile, in the 75, the rocks have been rearranged a bit and it seems to be keeping the leleupi happy and away from the similis. Saw a little similis fighting earlier when they realized the julidochromis was gonna and needed to reestablish pecking order but aside from that, there seems to be some harmony! visitors can't see pics , please register or login