Author Topic: Getting multis out of a shell  (Read 198 times)

Offline Rupert

• Ornatipinnis
    • View Profile
Getting multis out of a shell
« on: October 20, 2017, 01:50:14 PM »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

After getting a couple questions on this recently, I thought I'd share a pic of what I do to get multis out of their shells. I use an old beat up and stained 10 gallon tank. I got it for free because it was a leaker. I resealed it and now use it for QT and holding. (Side note: IMO, resealing a tank doesn't even come close to the painless, carefree, breezy experience some folks suggest. :) ) You can use whatever you have on hand as long as it has enough height. Then I made a platform out of egg crate/light diffuser. Multis don't like to be up off the bottom, so they'll swim down into the tank when up high. I cut the egg crate into three pieces and secured them with zip ties.

In the pic the shells are upright. I've since started putting the shells in with the opening facing down onto the egg crate. If the shells sit upright, some fish are really reluctant to swim out of them and they'll just sit inside the mouth of the shell and never swim down. Also, IME even if the fish do swim down into the tank, if you leave the shells in for too long the fish will sometimes head back up to the top and sit in a shell again. I haven't had that happening since I started putting the shells with the opening facing down. (Knock on wood.) Obviously, the nice big holes in the egg crate are key here. :)

Once you put the shells in, fish will swim out within 10 or 15 minutes. But I've had some wait as long as a few hours and recently had a fish that refused to exit for something like 22-23 hours. I try to keep the surface calm while they are exiting shells. That way I don't have any shells rocking around on the platform which seems counterproductive to them being calm and exiting their shell. Thatís why you donít see a filter in the pic. If it all goes quickly and Iím bagging them for sale right away, I don't bother with a filter at all. Otherwise I'll drop in a mature filter.

Iíve kept them in a holding tank like this for days with no problem. I did have one occasion however where I saw a fish being harassed after a couple days. I didnít worry about it too much and figured they were just sorting out a new group hierarchy and would be fine till they were bagged and sold. Well, the harassed fish was dead the next time I looked in the tank. Iíve read accounts from other people whoíve never had a problem with keeping them in bare tanks. Itís something I keep a really close eye on now. I suspect that the older the fish are the more likely it is for there to be serious aggression.

The first time I did this it was a little nerve-racking. But it's really a simple process. The hardest part is being patient while they decide to cooperate.

Online Queequeg

• Brevis
    • View Profile
Re: Getting multis out of a shell
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2017, 05:12:08 PM »
Hey Rupert, that's a great idea! How long are the little ones in that tank and do you feed them before you decide to sell them off? On another note do you think I could contact you here when my tank is cycled maybe in 6 to 8 wks to purchase from you? It seems so hard to find multies sometimes and would rather buy from someone on the forum. Still waiting for some equipment then will start my cycle, oh sweet patience.
I SEEK THE WHITE SHELLIE

Offline Rupert

• Ornatipinnis
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2017, 07:13:48 PM »
I don't pull fish from the colony until it's time to make the sale. So they are only in the tank a few days at most. Usually considerably less than that. I pull way back on feeding or hold off altogether the day before sale. It's hard for even the nicest looking fish to really shine in a bag full of fish poop. :) It also helps keep water quality from deteriorating as fast. Some people keep fry tanks. But since multis have such an easy colony structure--and I have no predators in the tank--I've never been in any kind of rush to pull fry or juveniles to a holding tank long term.

I am not shipping at this point in time. Sorry. I can't even keep up with local demand.

Edit: Also, just to clarify...putting the shells on egg crate is not my original idea. I have no idea who first came up with it. You'll find it around the net suggested in several different ways--though many are way more fiddly, less stable and no more effective than the platform I made in all of a minute.       

Online deeda

• Ocellatus
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2017, 02:38:19 PM »
This is an excellent method and one I've also used.  I've suggested this method on other forums but don't remember where I saw it originally.   The pic is a good example of how to set it up.

You can also add some PVC pipes or elbows to the bottom of the tank so the fish can still hide and feel secure but be able to remove them more easily than from their shells.
Dee

Online roman.cindy

• Multifasciatus
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2017, 10:24:48 AM »
Hey Rupert, that's a great idea! How long are the little ones in that tank and do you feed them before you decide to sell them off? On another note do you think I could contact you here when my tank is cycled maybe in 6 to 8 wks to purchase from you? It seems so hard to find multies sometimes and would rather buy from someone on the forum. Still waiting for some equipment then will start my cycle, oh sweet patience.
Hi I'm new..but I am getting Similis from Blue Chip Aquatics. Mine are flying into Jackson Wy Thursday. Nov 30, 2017

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Online roman.cindy

• Multifasciatus
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2017, 10:25:29 AM »
Hi I'm new..but I am getting Similis from Blue Chip Aquatics. Mine are flying into Jackson Wy Thursday. Nov 30, 2017

Maybe try them...seems reasonable

Online roman.cindy

• Multifasciatus
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2017, 11:02:18 AM »

Oh I see you have some coming...good luck..

Online Queequeg

• Brevis
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2017, 02:18:46 PM »
Yup my tank has finished cycling and is ready so I called this past Saturday but I guess the place I ordered my fish from was closed for the weekend so left them a message. Hoping to hear from them tomorrow.
I SEEK THE WHITE SHELLIE