Author Topic: Planning my 55 gal  (Read 552 times)

Online jerrytheplater

• Boulengeri
    • View Profile
Re: Planning my 55 gal
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2017, 09:07:31 PM »
Sorry about the loss of one of your Multi's. But glad you got your shipment otherwise. Smart move holding back on the food. Let them get settled in for a day or two. My fish at work always go without food on the weekends. They are fed 5 times a week.
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ

http://www.njagc.net/wp/

Offline Rupert

• Ornatipinnis
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2017, 09:45:50 AM »
How have the fish settled in? Maybe I missed it, but what species of Julidochromis did you get?

Online Queequeg

• Brevis
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2017, 04:40:55 PM »
Hey Rupert, I was trying to get my pics resized to post them but picresize.com is not working at the moment. I have 3 Julidochrois marlieri gombe's, and as soon as I can get some shots of the Paracyprichromis nigripinnis I'll post them. The shellies are busy digging about, so fun to watch. Definitely have 1 dominant male, the other three I pretty sure are females.
I SEEK THE WHITE SHELLIE

Online jerrytheplater

• Boulengeri
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2017, 05:32:12 PM »
I don't have a fancy camera and I've found that video's can make up for the poor camera I have. Are you able to post up a video on YouTube and link it here? My camera takes maybe 5 minute video's. I have to use Window's Movie Maker to convert the file to one YouTube can take directly. If I don't and leave it as a Quick Time video, YouTube can take up to 10 hours to upload and convert. Much faster if I do it with a .wmv file extension.
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ

Online Queequeg

• Brevis
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2017, 06:41:57 PM »
I'll check it out Jerry as soon as I can, really want to share with you and everyone else.
I SEEK THE WHITE SHELLIE

Online Queequeg

• Brevis
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2017, 10:12:46 PM »
Ok here is a short video with music that was on a Danny Kaye movie we were watching lol!
I SEEK THE WHITE SHELLIE

Online jerrytheplater

• Boulengeri
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2017, 03:48:03 PM »
Nice video!!! I did see one of your Multi's chasing a Paracyp. at one point. I would suggest getting your rocks piled higher so they reach the water surface. The Paracyps might migrate up higher. It looks like you have two groups of Paracyps on either rock pile.

I had rocks up at the surface with horizontal surfaces. My Paracyps would always hang out up top. I don't remember if they even came down below. This was in a 65 gallon tank.
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ

Offline Rupert

• Ornatipinnis
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2017, 11:55:41 PM »
Happy to see your tank. :) Thanks for the share.

I'll echo Jerry. Observe and adjust. You can't force your fish to be something they aren't. Too many hobbyists will tell you that anything is possible. Others will tell you that nothing is possible. As always, the smart hobbyist weighs the odds, places the bet, and stands ready for any result.

Same reaction....that multi is gonna give all kinds of hell to that paracyp. Manage your territories.

Every moment a fish spends fighting off a problem is a moment they aren't spending reproducing.

You have to deal with what you have. That's the joy and the challenge.

Online Queequeg

• Brevis
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2017, 05:50:07 AM »
I agree with both of you so yesterday I rearranged the rocks and gave the shellies the left side of the tank and stacked some more rocks a bit higher on the right side with a few more caves and crevices. I have one julie that is very intense chasing everything out from the bottom of the rock pile, may have to deal with him somehow. Since the change the paracyps have gradually moved over to the right where the rocks are and their is much less chasing going on between them and the shellies. Now I believe like you mentioned everyone will get down to the buisness at hand!
I SEEK THE WHITE SHELLIE

Online Queequeg

• Brevis
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2017, 05:40:47 PM »
Well here is the pic of the new setup, now the shellies have their own side of the tank and the rocks are a bit higher. There is a lot less chasing going on now.
I SEEK THE WHITE SHELLIE

Online Queequeg

• Brevis
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2017, 07:19:04 AM »
Question, my smallest shellie is always hanging around 1 shell and when any of the other three come near or try to enter that shell (she) assuming won't let them in. Is it possible that with in only 1 week that she has eggs in that shell? She is only about an inch long and two are about a inch and a quarter, and the last one is about 1 1/2 inches long.
I SEEK THE WHITE SHELLIE

Offline JarmFace

• Brevis
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2017, 09:14:08 AM »
Question, my smallest shellie is always hanging around 1 shell and when any of the other three come near or try to enter that shell (she) assuming won't let them in. Is it possible that with in only 1 week that she has eggs in that shell? She is only about an inch long and two are about a inch and a quarter, and the last one is about 1 1/2 inches long.

That's about the size my miltis started to breed.

Edited for brevity.

Offline Rupert

• Ornatipinnis
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2017, 09:59:39 AM »
Hard to say for certain, but it does sound like you have adult fish based on size. So it's possible. IME, females generally hang fairly close to their home shell. They don't typically roam as much territory as males. But females do get especially protective of their shell when they have eggs and fry. Males don't generally allow other mature males in their territory. But I've had an alpha male who allowed a mature, sub-dom male to remain, and even two bachelors who shared the same shell pit. Usually though both male and female will be vigilant against intruding gentlemen callers. I think you may still have some hierarchical fluidity occurring as they shake out who gets what. Which isn't to say that you didn't get a ripe female who has already spawned. Luckily they are quite interesting to watch. In time, you'll be reading that shell bed like a book, a few pages a day, and you'll discover their individual personalities and dynamics. In the bigger picture, the whole tank is a story. Each species is working out their own internal dynamics and their relationship to the other species. How many Julidochromis did you get and about what size? Watch for one fish to put on size and bulk more quickly than the others. That will be your dom. I have J transcriptus in three tanks now and they have definitely shown status dependent growth. They are also really interesting to watch.

ROFL, just saw JarmFace's reply. Laughing at myself here. Clearly I did not edit for brevity. :D

Online Queequeg

• Brevis
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2017, 10:56:29 AM »
Hey Rupert, Yes I have 1 male the biggest one hanging by himself in one area, the other two a bit smaller hang with each other and kinda roam around, and the little one is mainly by the one shell all the time and will not let anyone in it and guards it when one of the others come to close. Now the julies, I have one that rules the rock pile down low and sometimes comes up to chase some of the para cyps but that has lessoned somewhat. That Julie is the same size of one other one I have but is definitely more dominant, and I have one wee one who roams the rocks. The dominant one is about 2 inches, the second is about 1 1/2 inch and a little skinnier, the wee one is about an inch. The para cyps range from almost 3 inch to 2 inches all are doing fine. Brevity is fine in some instances but when it comes to gleaning info on a subject one is new to I'll take all the details I can! I also appreciate your input too JarmFace. Thank you. Also I know it's only been a week since introducing these fish to the tank so I'm sure there will be more that I can learn by just watching like you mentioned Rupert. Very interesting book I have in my living room and I love it.
I SEEK THE WHITE SHELLIE

Online jerrytheplater

• Boulengeri
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2017, 03:05:47 PM »
I once added a bunch of female Telmatochromis temporalis Shell to a tank containing a lone male. Within one week I had fry.

Here's my YouTube video of it. Taken Sept 21, 2013.   
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ