Author Topic: Multies juries with no stripes  (Read 211 times)

Offline twinsfan

• Multifasciatus
    • View Profile
Multies juries with no stripes
« on: November 12, 2017, 07:17:30 PM »
Hi, I bought some multie juveniles a few weeks ago. They donít have any stripes. Is this normal? How long until they develop them or was I sold something else? I will try to post photos.

Offline Rupert

• Ornatipinnis
    • View Profile
Re: Multies juries with no stripes
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2017, 07:57:12 PM »
Multi juvies don't have stripes. Totally normal. Their stripes come in as they get older. Let the stress go and enjoy! :) You'll see faint stripes come in as they get a little older and then they'll continue to darken (both stripes and overall) as they reach sexual maturity.

Offline JarmFace

• Brevis
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2017, 10:27:03 AM »
Just a point of curiosity, how large were they when you bought them? When I got mine, they were around 1/2" (~12 mm) and had their stripes.

Offline twinsfan

• Multifasciatus
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2017, 02:53:38 PM »
They're about half an inch.

Offline JarmFace

• Brevis
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2017, 09:20:51 AM »
Thanks! Mine must have just got their stripes (or were actually larger than my memory recalls).

Offline twinsfan

• Multifasciatus
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2017, 03:12:49 PM »
I took this yesterday.

Offline Rupert

• Ornatipinnis
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2017, 07:24:51 AM »
Looks like a multi. :)

Offline twinsfan

• Multifasciatus
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2017, 03:10:39 PM »
Thanks Rupert! I was scrolling through my Facebook and reading through some of the fish keeping groups I am a part of. Someone posted their multies and they looked just like mine. A commenter said they were neolamprologus caudopunctatus and not multies. Needless to say, I was concerned. I thought I'd check in here with people who were well versed in shellies.

Offline Rupert

• Ornatipinnis
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2017, 12:16:52 AM »
I'm sure you've noticed in your pic that the fish has a yellow stripe along the top of the dorsal. This is common among young juvenile N. multifasciatus. There are other posts on the forum noting this stripe, but it's kind of surprising it doesn't come up more often. It's a shame it doesn't persist. You'll catch a faint yellow cast on adults in the right light at the right angle, but nothing with the intensity of the stripe that shows in juveniles. Even with juveniles some have it more than others, lighting plays a part, and seems a bit more pronounced in pics than when your nose is against the tank. :) It might be misleading to some folks especially since it doesn't last, but it's actually one of the things that made me immediately recognize your fish as a multi. You'll also notice the metallic light blue swath around the eye. Again, this is telltale multi. I don't think your fish was mislabeled. But time will shortly tell for sure. Feed them well, do your water changes, and my money is solidly on you posting a pic of stripes sooner than you know it. :) 

Online deeda

• Ocellatus
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2017, 11:41:44 AM »
I also would have guessed at them being 'Lamprologus' caudopunctatus based on the yellow stripe on the dorsal fin!

Thanks for the detailed explanation Rupert!  I do have multies but they are on a bottom tank on a rack so I've never seen that stripe on juvenile fish.  I guess I need to spend more time crawling on the floor to view them.  ;D
Dee