Author Topic: Finally my brevis paired up! Now what?  (Read 2554 times)

Offline The Fish Guy

• Ocellatus
    • View Profile
Finally my brevis paired up! Now what?
« on: July 05, 2012, 09:37:33 AM »
I got another L. brevis on Monday and tried my best to pick out a female and I got lucky! I added her to my 10g with 3 male L. brevis and at first she was chased and not allowed into any shell. Now one male figured out she was a she and now they share the same shell. He guards her and will chase her in if I get too close and he doesn't let her go far from the shell. They just paired up yesterday. Do I need to do anything special to condition the parents like feed them richer food than Dainichi pellets? I did read the shellie spawning tips thread. So should I feed them every other day and do water changes less often and then feed them more and do water changes more? I'm so excited that I finally have a pair and I am happy to wait it out. What should I do with the other 2 males. The only other tank I have is a friend's 33g juvenile calvus tank. I would like to leave them in if possible. Thank you all for your help!
I also love orchids, if you have questions about them just ask...

Offline The Fish Guy

• Ocellatus
    • View Profile
Re: Finally my brevis paired up! Now what?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2012, 07:00:16 AM »
Any tips on breeding Neolamprologus brevis?

Offline fish head

• Shellie addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2012, 07:56:14 AM »
In the coming weeks, you might be surpised to find they have spawned already.  You will be looking in the tank and then you'll notice a fry, much bigger than a newly hatched fry.  He'll be hiding away from mom & pop.  Mom & pop will be working on the next batch.

They are often not the best parents the first few spawnings.

You could try to vary the food - frozen, live, NLS?  You could do an extra partial water change this week and skip next week?  You could dim the lights and put on some cool jazz?
fish keeper of 37 yrs
professional artist
...by the glow of fish tank lights

Offline The Fish Guy

• Ocellatus
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2012, 02:37:12 PM »
I've been feding them live mosquito larvae, frozen blood worms, Dainichi cihclid pellets, and Tetra sinking granules. The male will sometimes go into the shell with the female but he mainly goes into a shell right next to hers. He will fight off the other two males and he protects her but he doesn't like to share his food.

Offline The Fish Guy

• Ocellatus
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2012, 10:43:44 PM »
As I stated in the last post the male is still not really sharing the same shell witht he female. He goes into a shell right next the the female's shell. He just goes in once in a while. The female kind of seems interested in breeding but the male doesn't seem interested at all. I think he's distracted by all the decor and other tankmates. He is always swimming around behind and through the rocks, around the plant, by the filter and heater, to the very top and back again. I was thinking about putting the pair with just their two shells, a heater, filter and maybe air stone in a slatebottom, metalframe 10g tank that I recently sealed. With no decor or substrate since they never dig. I would make a plexiglass top and put it on the bottom shelf of my plant light stand it would be 12 inches or so from a 2 tube T8 fixture wich may or may not be blocked somewhat by plants. Do you think this is a good idea? Should I have more shells or some decor? Or should I just wait? I was already dissapointed when I found out and saw for myself that they don't dig at all, I really want them to breed. It has only been 4 months since I got them. I've been keeping my hand out of the tank as much as possible and mostly clean the tank at night. I vary their diet. I do regular frequent water changes and then try doing them less often. I let quite a bit of algae grow. I know I'm probably just being impatient.

Oh, why can I wait for years for an orchid seedling to bloom and I can't wait a few months for N. brevis to breed?

Offline fish head

• Shellie addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2012, 12:54:37 PM »
Love your last question.  You've posted some other good ones too.  I'll give this some thought.
fish keeper of 37 yrs
professional artist
...by the glow of fish tank lights

Offline The Fish Guy

• Ocellatus
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2012, 10:35:06 AM »
When the male swims around it isn't like he is defending his territory or looking fo food or anything, he just seems very curious and distacted and not interested in breeding. It seems like he is always exploring and never close to his shell, although he goes into his shell when the lights turn off. His mate follows him a lot. That's why I was thinking about putting the pair in a bare tank so there wouldn't be much to be curious about and distacted by. I want them to breed at least once so I can enjoy watching the fry grow up. But maybe I'm just too impatient...

Offline Ralph

• Ocellatus
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2012, 10:40:05 AM »
just wait for nature to take it course. I have 7 Multi's in my tank been there about 6weeks now and I'd been looking everyday for fry and was beginning to think I had 7 Ladies when mey son spotted two fry swimming amongst the shells on saturday night. Now it's a case of when are the next lot coming lol

Offline The Fish Guy

• Ocellatus
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2013, 01:37:19 PM »
Ok I got my brevis on May 22, 2012 and they paired up. I even added another female (she didn't pair up). No breeding at all I've varied their food, changed the water temps, put sight barriers and plants, ect. (Not all at the same time though.) They don't dig and I have to stir up the sand to keep it clean, the little multi in with them doesn't even dig. They aren't keeping me excited. How much longer do I have to wait?!?  ???

I just bought a flask of 30 baby orchids that won't bloom for 3-5 years... ;D

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2013, 03:00:47 AM »
congrats bro if your looking for some breeder females lmk adults
Stocklist:
Neolamprolongus Callipterus
Neolamprolongus Callirus Brevis
Neolamprolongus Kitumba Brevis
Neolamprolongus Kungweensis
Neolamprolongus 14k Gold Occelatus
Neolamprolongus Ornatipinnis
Neolamprolongus Signatus
Neolamprologus Speciosus
Neolamprolongus Melagris
Altolamprolongus Sumbu dwarf

Offline tanganyika tony

• Multifasciatus
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2013, 09:13:17 AM »
hey fontosa express still got any of the fish 4sale on ur list, brevis or occies :)

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2013, 05:47:43 PM »
Which were you looking for majority of my stock has been sold, but i will double check my inventory, i do have a couple of similis left, multis left, let me know show me an email frontosaexpress@gmail.com
Stocklist:
Neolamprolongus Callipterus
Neolamprolongus Callirus Brevis
Neolamprolongus Kitumba Brevis
Neolamprolongus Kungweensis
Neolamprolongus 14k Gold Occelatus
Neolamprolongus Ornatipinnis
Neolamprolongus Signatus
Neolamprologus Speciosus
Neolamprolongus Melagris
Altolamprolongus Sumbu dwarf