Author Topic: Help!!! (multies)  (Read 2241 times)

Offline Rexlinkfishguy

• Ornatipinnis
    • View Profile
Help!!! (multies)
« on: February 01, 2013, 08:54:46 PM »
Hey guys. As some of you know I've had multis for awhile. I've had them probably since last august. I don't know what to do! They just refuse to breed! I have 5 of them in a 20 gallon long with almost the whole bottom covered in shells. I'm not sure if the males are just being stupid and just flaring at each other and forgetting about the female or what... I'm starting to get very discouraged by the fact I've had them for so long and they still aren't breeding. I'm not even 100% sure that I have a female or females. I don't know sexes as they aren't full grown yet I don't think. Any recommendations as to a way to get them to breed? I feed them frozen baby brine shrimp (that I hatched and froze cuz I had extra) every once in awhile for a treat hoping it'll trigger something... ???

Offline fish head

• Shellie addict
    • View Profile
Re: Help!!! (multies)
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2013, 11:19:00 AM »
Do you feed them NLS?

What is the temp?
fish keeper of 37 yrs
professional artist
...by the glow of fish tank lights

Offline Rexlinkfishguy

• Ornatipinnis
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2013, 05:19:05 PM »
Do you feed them NLS?

What is the temp?

I feed a fish food called New Era rift lake red. Its really great for africans that like a lot of protein and the fish seem to love it. I know other people that use it and they haven't had problems. The temp is about 80 degrees. I'm thinking it might be the fact that the males don't have sight barriers. So they are almost constantly flaring at each other.

Offline fish head

• Shellie addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2013, 05:56:29 PM »
I'm not familiar w/ your food.  A small container of NLS Grow would be a suggestion for an experiment.

Also, I'd say 80 degrees would be perfect for spawning, but you say they are not, so why not try 74 degrees for a while.  I was shocked to learn some shelldwellers will spawn in cooler water and will only beat up on each other in warmer water.  (Twisted Fisher's telmats)  Go figure.  I don't mind learning new tricks.  Do a few extra water changes w/ slightly cooler water and turn down your heater a tick.

And yes, you should try some sight barriers.  What you've been doing hasn't resulted in fry, so try something else.  Don't give up on them yet!!  I promise it will be worth the wait!
fish keeper of 37 yrs
professional artist
...by the glow of fish tank lights

Offline Rexlinkfishguy

• Ornatipinnis
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2013, 06:06:18 PM »
The water I use for water changes is like 50 degrees... Kinda cold haha. I'll lower the temperature down as well if you think that might help.
Maybe they will get used to the colder water and then when I bump it up slowly they'll try breeding. I also have some rocks from a mbuna fry tank that I can use to try to get sight barriers. I'll see what happens. I really hope they breed soon..  :(

Offline Braden8558

• Ornatipinnis
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2013, 05:22:13 PM »
Good luck! I agree with Fishhead, try something else like feeding more variety, and using sight barriers. That's to cold if it is 50 farenheit. Jeez they live in Africa get it up to about 78 imo. If that doesn't work then maybe you need some more Multies!

Offline unclejerry

• Brevis
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2013, 08:30:28 PM »
It took about 7 months for mine to spawn. Noticed my first fry on New Years morning at like 1am (a sign its going to be a good year?). Then a few weeks later I saw two from another mother. Don't know how many they usually have at a time but it just could be mine being new to spawning. Think they were mostly juveniles.  Maybe that's the same as yours, need a little time to grow out. Feed them the New Life Spectrim Grow food. Mine love it!

Offline The Fish Guy

• Ocellatus
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2013, 01:22:26 PM »
I got my brevis in late spring/early summer of 2012 and they still haven't bred! I know the frustration.
I also love orchids, if you have questions about them just ask...

Offline chronsolo

• Brevis
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2013, 10:07:35 PM »
Sup rex,
What's your pH? They may be able to live in fairly neutral water but breeding may require their normal high Tanganyikan pH.
Could also try separating the extra males. Like you said the males may be too preoccupied with chasing off competition.
I'm trying to get more serious about breeding my similis. Hope you get a spawn soon!

Offline Rexlinkfishguy

• Ornatipinnis
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2013, 10:57:42 PM »
Haha apparently they didn't like me posting about how sad I was with them not spawning. They have spawned like crazy. I probably have close to 20-30 fry in the tank atm. My pH is high. Not AS high as the lake but I think its around 8.2-8.6

Offline snakeskinner

• Ornatipinnis
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2013, 07:15:16 AM »
congrats!   

The subject about PH is a little blown out of porportion in this hobby.  nearly all of the fish people have access to have never seen their natural waters and are bred in whatever tapwater is found where the breeders/farms are located.  Farms are not going to alter water conditions.  they are going to breed fish that are desireable, easy to breed and raise in large numbers, take little to no interaction as far as altering water conditions, temps etc. and eat whatever they give them.  Most hobbyists that have been in the hobby very long and/or have very many tanks do not alter water either unless there is a picky or extreme species or something wildcaught.  very few fish will require an alteration of the water conditions.  My water was at about 7.3 last time I checked and my multies breed faster than I can catch them to take to auction.  My initial group were F1's and their parents (wildcaught) had likely been bred in tapwater as well. 

get ready to be overwhelmed with fry!   Kyle
Keep all sorts of fish