Author Topic: normal occie behaviour ?  (Read 1001 times)

Offline webbie

• Multifasciatus
    • View Profile
normal occie behaviour ?
« on: July 18, 2013, 01:31:22 AM »
Bought three gorgeous gold occies from my LFS about 6 weeks ago,1male 2 females,male immediately took up his shells but for the first couple of weeks the females hid in the rocks,they both eventually found themselves a shell one at each end,then last weekend lo, fry in the one shell about 12 of them,but after 3 days none,the female which had the fry has been ousted from her shell by the male and she is back behind the rocks,the males attention is now on the other female at the other end of the tank,hopefully more fry,which I may try and remove to a ten gal grow on tank,but every time the other female shows her face he chases her back into the rockworkis this norm ,never kept occurs before so nothing to go on

Offline fish head

• Shellie addict
    • View Profile
Re: normal occie behaviour ?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2013, 06:25:55 AM »
I had a male gold occie like that.  I started w/ 6, and ended up w/ 1.  Sorry to sound so sour, but they really were pretty fish, w/ too much attitude for my tank.  I got bit a few times too.  I'm no sissy, but dang, that was a surprise to be nailed by a 1" fish - yanked my hand out so fast, I banged my elbow on the rim, splashed water on my pants, and made my dog jump.  (OK, my dog might be considered a sissy by some)

Young shelldwellers often pick the rocks for cover.  Add more if you think they need them.  Tiny dark crevices are best for cover when a mean occie is on the prowl.

If you have small children, tell them to keep away from the occie tank, just to be safe.
fish keeper of 37 yrs
professional artist
...by the glow of fish tank lights

Offline webbie

• Multifasciatus
    • View Profile
Re: normal occie behaviour ?
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2013, 06:37:41 AM »
Gorgeous looking little fellas but what an attitude, did a water change yesterday the male went ape when I put the hose in,when the female had the young in a shell watching her square up to my gold head comp,prob 10 x her size was a sight to behold