Author Topic: Matchmaking for an Aggressive Brevis Male  (Read 1303 times)

Offline michaelw81

• Multifasciatus
    • View Profile
Matchmaking for an Aggressive Brevis Male
« on: August 24, 2013, 07:48:23 PM »
I bought the best-looking Brevis male from a LFS. I put him in a 20G holding tank that had male Endlers and another Brevis male. He harassed the other Brevis male continually and bit off portions of tails from a few of the male Endlers. Eventually I moved him to a tank by himself. He has been eating well and has grown up quite a bit since then, but seems to be not totally happy about his loneliness.

Now that my F1 Brevis fry from an unrelated pair have matured, I have found one of the girls to be particularly courageous. She bosses her sisters around and won't hesitate taking on any of her brothers that are much bigger than her. I wonder if I could try setting this feisty girl up with that aggressive male in a 15G tank. What would be the best way of "introducing" the boy and the girl? I only have a 15G tank available for this purpose. Your advice please. Thanks in advance.

Offline snakeskinner

• Ornatipinnis
    • View Profile
Re: Matchmaking for an Aggressive Brevis Male
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2013, 11:30:40 AM »
I would use a mesh tank divider with one on each side and see how they react.  then after a few days, remove the divider and see what happens.  Kyle
Keep all sorts of fish

Offline fish head

• Shellie addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2013, 01:13:45 PM »
For what its worth, give the female most of the tank, or all of the tank for a few days first before introducing the male.
fish keeper of 37 yrs
professional artist
...by the glow of fish tank lights

Offline Braden8558

• Ornatipinnis
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2013, 02:29:30 PM »
I agree with Fishhead. A divider is not necessary. Or you could just put them in together. I think they would be fine personally. Usually the brevis males aren't mean to other females in my experience unless they already have another mate. Recently I put my female brevis back in my 14 gallon with my pair of brevis. She got bullied and a little beat up and then eventually claimed some shells and now is left alone. So there might be some aggression  but he shouldn't kill her!

I would try it and experiment. Make sure there are a lot of rocks and shells and room for the two. I would put the female in first for like 3 days and then add the male and watch them for a little bit and make sure he isn't beating the crap out of her! I have a lot of rocks in my 14 gallon with 4 shells on one side and a huge pile of rocks in the middle and then some more shells on the right side.

Thanks, Braden  8)

Offline michaelw81

• Multifasciatus
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2013, 07:40:38 PM »
Thanks for your replies. I will put the girl into the 15G tank first and let her settle down before introducing the male. Fingers crossed.

Offline Braden8558

• Ornatipinnis
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2013, 04:24:38 PM »
Good luck! Any update yet?

Braden  8)