Author Topic: Why Aren't My Multies Breeding?  (Read 1733 times)

Offline mbsplit2

• Multifasciatus
    • View Profile
Why Aren't My Multies Breeding?
« on: October 14, 2013, 06:07:09 PM »
I have a 20 gallon tank with two Multies one male one female, and I had them for 3 or 4 months now and no spawning yet. The only other fish I have in there are two mystery snails. The ph is 8.4 the nitrates are very low, and I have a dozen shells. Please help me out I really want them to breed.   :'( ???

Offline jrh

• Brevis
    • View Profile
Re: Why Aren't My Multies Breeding?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2013, 06:10:20 PM »
It's pretty common if you stop doing water changes for awhile, that can help stimulate breeding.  Besides, you likely won't know you have fry until they're getting brave enough to swim out of the shell, and even then they're pretty small.

Offline jrh

• Brevis
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2013, 06:11:27 PM »
Also, snails can eat eggs -- multies will carry snails away from the nest -- but I'm sure your colony-to-be could defend itself against 2 P diffusa.

Offline Graphix

• Ocellatus
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2013, 07:14:38 PM »
P. Diffusa? I just did a google search they look like Mystery snails, is that what they are?
Fish are friends, and sometimes food.

Offline fish head

• Shellie addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2013, 07:21:16 PM »
Or you could do a couple partial water changes this week and vary the food stuff.  Don't over feed the tank, though.

Do you have NLS Grow?
fish keeper of 37 yrs
professional artist
...by the glow of fish tank lights

Offline jrh

• Brevis
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2013, 09:37:06 PM »
P diffusa are mystery snails

Offline snakeskinner

• Ornatipinnis
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2013, 12:34:39 PM »
mystery snails won't be a problem although the multies might pick on them if they get too close.  I've had multies kill mystery snails although I had a lot more fish in a 20 long when it happened so the snails didn't really have anywhere they could go and be safe.

multies can take awhile to breed in some cases.  how old are your fish?  How sure are you they are male and female?  maybe they are not mature yet or maybe you have 2 of one sex.  The only way I can sex them is if I know 100% sure they are mature and when you have a colony of all ages that's about impossible.  males will get close to 2" while females will only get a little over an inch.   immature or small males will look identical to females.  you may be able to tell by how they act with just 2 fish though.  Kyle
Keep all sorts of fish

Offline jrh

• Brevis
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2013, 01:10:55 PM »
I had multies that took about a year to start spawning.  Their first clutch wasn't much, but after that I was well on my way to a good little colony.

Offline Zoomie05

• Brevis
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2013, 02:24:34 AM »
Are you absolutely sure you have a male and female?  The only way I can tell is by behavior.