Author Topic: F2 Ornatipinnis  (Read 1026 times)

Offline fish head

• Shellie addict
    • View Profile
F2 Ornatipinnis
« on: February 25, 2016, 08:14:25 PM »
I have a 10 gallon tank by my desk.  It used to house my brevis - RIP.  (heater malfunction)

Now it has a pair of F1 ornatipinnis.  They've spawned many times.  I no longer have a heater in this tank.  The temp ranges from 66 - 72 degrees.  There are free swimming fry again.

The only other tank mates are a small female bristle nose pleco that survived the baking heater episode and a calvus that is a surviving reject from my calvus tank.  They both hang in the shadows but come out often.  The ornatipinnis don't act like they really care, but occasionally the male will take off after the pleco.  They're both basically shy fish.

There are also some snails and a few surviving offspring that hide in random shells in the tank.  One jouvie is about 1/2" long.  The male is often on the lookout for them.

The fry don't last long.  I'm sure the calvus gets some, and the parents don't care after a while and bicker a lot.  They might eat their young too.  She often has marks on her.  He's about twice her size.  Ramble, ramble, ramble...  Cool tank.
fish keeper of 37 yrs
professional artist
...by the glow of fish tank lights

Offline Braden8558

• Ornatipinnis
    • View Profile
Re: F2 Ornatipinnis
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2016, 09:59:16 AM »
Hey Fishhead! Sounds like a neat setup you have got going. Do you have any updates and pictures on this tank? Would like to see this setup!

Braden

Offline fish head

• Shellie addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2016, 06:50:27 AM »
Thanks man.  Will try to photograph this long weekend.  Noticed a couple F2 fry that have made it to 1/2" or more hiding in the background of this tank.  Very few fry make it for long.
fish keeper of 37 yrs
professional artist

Offline Graphix

• Ocellatus
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2016, 09:02:10 PM »
I too would like to see pictures, it sounds like a really cool setup.
Fish are friends, and sometimes food.

Offline Braden8558

• Ornatipinnis
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2016, 01:57:34 PM »
Kenny did you wind up taking some pictures of the tank?

Braden

Offline fish head

• Shellie addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2016, 07:05:44 PM »
Hey fellow fishheads!  Thanks for your interest.  I've been buried in work (not a bad thing) - took many photos and most sucked too bad to share.  I'll try again and post some next time no matter what.  No fry at the moment, but the 2 younger fish that hang on the right side are growing bigger and might either be pairing up, or maybe they're both females and the big male of the tank will be paying them a visit, rather than chasing them into the shadows.  There is some java moss over there that grows outta control next to window indirect sunlight, but that gives them extra room to hide and helps keep the algae down.

With longer daylight hrs, its not as easy to take good photos of the tank.  ...and my photography skills and camera are pretty lame...ha ha.
fish keeper of 37 yrs
professional artist