Author Topic: Similis Spawning In Rocks?  (Read 264 times)

Offline Austringer

• Multifasciatus
    • View Profile
Similis Spawning In Rocks?
« on: May 30, 2017, 04:50:52 PM »
I have had an adult proven 2:2 group of Neolamprologus similis in an 80g tank for about a week or so. In the tank I have three escargot shell beds separated by rocks and sand, with one pair living on each side and the central bed empty (sometimes visited by the left male). The female who lives on the left side of the tank has been  very busy digging, but not in her shellbed: she has been digging a tunnel under one of the large rocks behind her shells. She sleeps in a shell, and will take refuge in a shell with startled, but has been doing her shimmy-courtship dance only in front of her tunnel.

Well, today I am 99.9% sure she and her partner spawned in that tunnel under the rocks. The pair of them have been shimmying and going into and out of the shell all day, and now she's chased him off and is sitting in front of it fanning.

1) uh, has anyone else has their similis or multies spawn in their rock work?
2) is it usual for them to have spawned so soon? I wasn't expecting breeding activity for a month or more!

Offline Miles44

• Charter Member
  • Charter Member
  • Shellie addict
    • View Profile
Re: Similis Spawning In Rocks?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2017, 09:25:44 PM »
Congrats on the fry :)

I've had multies spawn in rocks/caves before, don't believe its super uncommon. And I don't see why they wouldn't spawn relatively right away if they are of the appropriate age.

Offline Austringer

• Multifasciatus
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2017, 01:02:52 AM »
Well, that makes me feel better! Here is a poor picture of the female in question and her choosen spawning spot (I hope this sizes down okay):

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Rupert

• Ornatipinnis
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2017, 08:18:04 PM »
Sounds like they are settling in and getting down to business. :) Trying to remember your other thread...do you have tropheus in this tank also?

Offline Austringer

• Multifasciatus
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2017, 01:55:29 PM »
No, not yet- the juvenile Tropheus duboisi are in quarantine right now, and I want the similis to be well established before I add the Tropheus (who are currently somewhere between male and female similis in size). If it doesn't work out, it's no problem- the Tropheus can go back into their quarantine tank; its plenty big enough. 80g is just a little big for four similis! They only use maybe 1/3 the height of the tank and certainly not all the floor space. The similis are already used to eating brine shrimp from a turkey baster, to hopefully keep the meaty stuff away from the Tropheus.

The other similis pair are showing signs of wanting to spawn in their shellbed, so I have at least one normal pair lol I have to admit that the Tropheus are awesome to watch at feeding time, but when I just want to sit and watch fish, it's the shelldweller's tank I pull my chair up to even if there is only four fish :)