Author Topic: My crazy, mixed-up Julies  (Read 445 times)

Offline Pilch566

• Brevis
    • View Profile
My crazy, mixed-up Julies
« on: June 15, 2017, 07:55:27 PM »
I got home last night and notice a bunch of white spots forming lines on the back glass of my tank. Sitting in front of the spots was my big Julie "gombi" who has done nothing but chase the other two smaller Julies since I put them in my tank 2 months ago. (I have attempted to attach a picture.)

I understand that Julies are shy, secretive cave spawners but here are my guys, laying eggs on the back wall rather than in the Cichlid Stones I provided for them. They're nuts I tell ya!

Now I just need my multies to get in spawning mode.

Offline Pilch566

• Brevis
    • View Profile
Re: My crazy, mixed-up Julies
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2017, 07:56:12 PM »
Another pic, blurrier but more eggs visible.

Online deeda

• Ocellatus
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2017, 11:08:23 AM »
Congrats on the spawn!!  Maybe they are opting for outside egg care rather than hidden inside the cichlid cave.
Dee

Offline jerrytheplater

• Ornatipinnis
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2017, 03:17:09 PM »
Exhibitionists.
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ

http://www.njagc.net/wp/

Offline Rupert

• Ornatipinnis
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2017, 11:16:30 AM »
Well, at least you know for sure you have a female. :) Messy, non-conformist spawns are not all that uncommon especially with inexperienced fish. Would be cool if some of them are fertile so you can watch the process.

Thanks for the giggle, Jerry. :D

Offline Pilch566

• Brevis
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2017, 01:05:57 PM »
Interesting you say that, Rupert. My suspicion is that they were not fertilized.

Anyway most of them are gone now. I don't know whether they were eaten or just fell off the glass.

Offline Rupert

• Ornatipinnis
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2017, 06:08:19 PM »
All you can do is note it all in your tank journal. With any luck you'll discover tiny julies hugging a rock before the summer ends. :)

As far as the multis, their fry can be hard to spot even when they are species only. Having a predator around is likely to result in a loss here and there, and they may be staying pretty tightly tucked. Keep your eyes open for tiny black specks moving in the area of the female's shell. Those will be fry eyes. :) Another clue there are fresh fry down among the shells--the adults basically standing on their heads staring down at their shells. (Doesn't count right after you throw food in the tank, lol, but I've found it correlates pretty well otherwise.)

Offline Rupert

• Ornatipinnis
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2017, 07:47:23 AM »
How bout an update?

Offline Pilch566

• Brevis
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2017, 10:11:03 AM »
She's laid eggs on the glass a couple more times. For the most part she now stays behind the rocks to avoid multie aggression. When I get a free weekend I think I'm going to rehome the Julies and replace the rock pile with more shells.

Offline Rupert

• Ornatipinnis
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2017, 12:28:15 PM »
Well, dang, I was hoping to hear you had Julie fry. You had mentioned waiting for the multis to go into spawning mode. Are they producing for you yet?

Offline Pilch566

• Brevis
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2017, 08:27:08 AM »
Nope. Still no multi fry.

Offline Rupert

• Ornatipinnis
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2017, 04:53:36 PM »
Do you think your Julies might be eating multi fry? Or maybe the multis just aren't mature enough yet? I guess it could be that neither are going to settle in and produce well unless they are separated. 

Offline Pilch566

• Brevis
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2017, 08:24:51 AM »
I don't think the Julies are eating multi fry. The multies have the Julies pushed to the back of the tank. I think the reason the mulites haven't spawned is either maturity or the presence of the Julies.