Author Topic: Got my new Multies & "Punks"  (Read 260 times)

Online Olive

• Brevis
    • View Profile
Got my new Multies & "Punks"
« on: June 15, 2017, 08:36:47 PM »
As I've looked around different places locally with no luck & been referred to various online sources for multies & similis, I finally decided on getting more multies from Bluechipaquaticsonline.com.  They were $8 apiece with a $25 flat handling fee to Bluechip & then $75 at air cargo to pick them up today.  I now have 6 juvenile multies in my 55 gallon Mother's Day present to myself.  I also have 4 long finned leopard danios & a baby molly in it that I used for starter fish.  These new multies are smaller than the ones in my 46 gallon that I plan on moving to the 55.  I figured since they were bigger I'd give the new fish about a week in the 55 to get their territories established before putting them into it.

I figured I'd leave the similis & her fry in the 46 & hopefully will only have the one batch of hybrid fry by the time we move the 2 male multies.

Since we'll be moving the multies to the other tank & have unused caves in the 46 gallon we figured on getting another type of fish to basically replace the multies.  We decided on getting "Punks" & ordered them with the multies from Bluechip.  I'm really liking the "punks" already!

FYI, In the communication with Bluechip I found out that they have similis but they're too small to sell yet.  They should be available in about a month.

Offline Rupert

• Ocellatus
    • View Profile
Re: Got my new Multies & "Punks"
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2017, 09:57:08 AM »
Glad you were able to find fish you wanted and start your own multi colony. Gosh, after all your time, effort and expense to get those fish I sure wouldn't let those hybrids anywhere near them. Or another similis either, lol, for that matter. Hope things sort out okay for you.

Online Olive

• Brevis
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2017, 08:02:02 PM »
I need some advice on how to get my reluctant multi out of the 46 gallon.  We were able to get one out & transferred to the 55 but the other is smart & dives for the rocks the Julies have claimed anytime we put a net in.  We're about ready to remove the rocks & other stuff in the tank but are hesitant to do so because we've read that if the Julies are pairing off & we disrupt their territories we could have a few dead fish.  Here's a picture of the tank.

Offline jerrytheplater

• Ornatipinnis
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2017, 10:36:28 PM »
Try removing all the shells but one. Wait for it to go in it and net out the shell its in.

Otherwise it is remove all the rocks. I've done that numerous times.

Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ

http://www.njagc.net/wp/

Online Olive

• Brevis
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2017, 11:26:12 PM »
In your experience, is what we've read about paired off Julies true?

Offline Rupert

• Ocellatus
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2017, 10:39:09 AM »
If this fish is just refusing to dive into a shell when you reach in, I think removing the rocks is the only way to go. IME, they dive straight for their shell, but if this guy has territory under the rock or has simply figured out it's the safest place to be, I can't think of many good options.

I got started with my transcriptus last spring, so can't say for sure how they react to tank changes. However, in all the reading I've done, I've come across people who let them pair off in big tanks and then move them to smaller tanks, people who remove the breeding cave to net juveniles and put it back in, and people who moved across state/had a tank leak/upgraded to bigger tank etc all of which involves serious disruption to a Julie cave--none of those people reported problems, the julies settled back in with little fuss and resumed normally. I take great hope from those descriptions. On the other hand, other folks report moving a few grains of sand on the opposite side of the tank from the Julie territory and having all heck break loose. I haven't the slightest clue why some pairs seem so resilient and others so fragile.

Based on your pic, it looks like you have a few large rocks vs a bunch of smaller ones. So I'd think not much trouble to put them back in the tank in pretty much the same configuration as they came out. I say, pull the rocks, grab the multi, put the rocks back in their original positions, turn off the lights, calm the room, and let the fish shake off the quake. In and out. Be brave, be quick, be done with it. :D Sometimes ya just gotta do what ya gotta do. 

Offline jerrytheplater

• Ornatipinnis
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2017, 03:51:50 PM »
I've had Julidochromis regani for a while. They spawn. I've never heard anything about them becoming aggressive due to a move or rescape. I've torn the entire tank apart down to one large 100 lb stone on the bottom without any problems. I've even used high pressure air to blow the gravel out from under the stones to remove the really dirty gravel. Made a lance out of solid tubing and shot it under the rocks. Fish came flying out. Pressure is 70 PSI.

I just lost my breeding pair of Julies two weeks ago in my 65 gallon at work due to breakage of A/C over a weekend. Temps were 88 in the room Monday 6 AM. All we could do was put fans in the room. Didn't get A/C till Friday. Found them dead on Wednesday. The Neolamprologus leleupi and Synodontis lucipinnis and Julie fry did fine. No deaths. Oh, Endlers did fine too.

You could try filling in the cave under the rocks the Multi uses to exclude him. Just don't bury him.
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ

http://www.njagc.net/wp/

Offline Rupert

• Ocellatus
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2017, 07:20:51 PM »
Glad you shared that, Jerry. But, wow, really sorry to hear about your adult Julies. That's a shame. Heartening that your other fish, including the Julie fry, made it through the ordeal.

It crossed my mind to try shoving substrate in front of the multi's escape route as well. But then had the same concern about burying him.

Hope you keep us posted, Olive.

Online Olive

• Brevis
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2017, 08:19:50 PM »
Well we pulled the rocks out of the 46 gal & was able to quickly net the Multi.  He's now in the 55 gallon!  Thanks for the assurance that everyone would be ok.

Offline Rupert

• Ocellatus
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2017, 04:02:22 PM »
I'm curious about how the Julies and similis are doing since the storm :) whipped through the tank and whisked away the multis.

Online Olive

• Brevis
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2017, 11:18:32 AM »
They seem ok so far.  The female Similis seems a bit lonely.  I don't have access locally yet to get more.  I sometimes wish they were easier to tell the different sexes apart.