Author Topic: A little help with my first shell dweller tank  (Read 964 times)

Offline n25philly

• Brevis
    • View Profile
A little help with my first shell dweller tank
« on: August 02, 2017, 03:42:49 PM »
Hi everyone, this is my first time keeping shell dwellers, but I am not new to the hobby.  I set up a 20 long about a month ago for keeping shell dwellers and ended up settling on multies as my fish. (it was between them and similis and I went with what I could actually find)

Here is a picture of the tank as I originally set it up.  (ignore the two platys and the dwarf crayfish, they were in there to keep some seeded media going while I tried to find the fish, they have since been moved to a different tank)

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

So far I have managed to find 4 multies, 2 from two separate stores.  I have one that is pretty big so I am assuming it is a full grown adult and the other three are pretty small so I am assuming they are juvies.

Here is the big one with one of the smaller ones in the corner to show the size difference:

They seem to be enjoying the tank and have been making it their own.  I didn't see any of the digging/rescaping behavior until I got the second pair.

The issue I am having right now is with the big one.  When I got him for the first 3 days or so he would spend all day out going all around the tank strutting his stuff.  Since then he mostly hides.  At first I thought it was the lighting as I saw him coming out when the lights were off, but now I think he is just afraid of me.  Seems like whenever I turn and look at the tank, even from the other side of the room he is ducking into the cave on the rock on the left.  I am used to seeing the smaller ones go into hiding when I get up right by the glass, but after a few seconds they come right back out.  He stays hidden no matter what, even when I put food in.  I can sometimes sneak up and see him out and he looks perfectly healthy, but he will hide as soon as he notices I am there.  Is this normal?  Could it be because he is the only adult?  Anything that could cause this kind of behavior like too much flow in the tank or two much light?  Any ideas that might help would be highly appreciated!

Offline tabendall

• Brevis
    • View Profile
Re: A little help with my first shell dweller tank
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2017, 08:26:40 PM »
I've had this happen with other cichlids.  They are pretty intelligent fish that are aware of what's outside of their tank.  Every time you feed them, you are conditioning him that you are a good and safe entity.  Be patient .. he'll soon be begging you for food when you walk up!

Offline Rupert

• Ornatipinnis
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2017, 10:00:37 PM »
I can't see the pics because of the photobucket kerfuffle. But agree with the above. May well be that fish just needs some more time to get comfortable. Also, IMO, multis take great comfort in numbers. As they settle in and your colony grows they'll be increasingly bold and active.

Offline n25philly

• Brevis
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2017, 10:13:27 AM »
Thanks for the responses, glad to know there is likely nothing wrong.  I'm dissapointed with the photos, I've been using photobucket forever (the e-mail I use to long on hasn't even existed for the last 10 years) and I've never had this problem before.  I'll have to upload them somewhere else and give it another try.

Online deeda

• Ocellatus
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2017, 12:04:01 PM »
Yep, Photobucket no longer allows FREE photo hosting so you might need to use another service.

I haven't tried to upload pics here from my computer but just discovered there is an Attachments and other options button below the dialogue box.  It is not visible in the Quick Reply window but is in the Reply window.
Dee

Online jerrytheplater

• Boulengeri
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2017, 10:31:40 PM »
Attachments allowed: txt, jpg, zip, gif, png, html, htm
Restrictions: 4 per post, maximum total size 999KB, maximum individual size 999KB
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ

http://www.njagc.net/wp/

Offline n25philly

• Brevis
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2017, 08:02:51 AM »
Ok, lets try this again:

What the tank looked like before the multies:

After they had been in there a couple of weeks:

Offline Rupert

• Ornatipinnis
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2017, 08:16:18 AM »
When I'm not logged in it says visitors can't see pics, please register--says that right underneath the before and after sentences. After I logged in, I don't see anything other than the three sentences--try again, before, after. Nothing, just blank.

Shruggie

Offline n25philly

• Brevis
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2017, 08:30:57 AM »
I'm still trying to figure out how to get the photos up on here.  Yeah, you can attach, but I don't really want to spend the time resizing everything every time.  I'm trying flickr, but I am not that familiar with it and can't seem to figure out how to get them to just show on the site.  If you click on the file name though it will take you to the photo on flickr

Offline n25philly

• Brevis
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2017, 08:52:55 AM »
Ok, now that I've got that figured out, it's time for the stars of the show...

Rare Adult male sighting.  There is a juvie in the bottom right corner for scale:

Offline Rupert

• Ornatipinnis
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2017, 09:36:38 AM »
I see pics now. :D They have definitely been digging, lol. If it were me, I'd add a few more shells. Multis really love shells, groups of them they can dig into a pit. Before long your tank will be filled with non-stop activity. :) Nice, clear shots of your fish!

Offline n25philly

• Brevis
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2017, 09:45:22 AM »
When I started out I had 14 shells in there.  I had bought a pack of 24, but kept some out in case I needed to order some online I'd have some to put in the quarantine tank for them.  Since I got a decent amount locally I've been adding some more of the ones I had.    I'll probably get some more shells as well, but debating on whether to just get some more escargot shells or something different for variety in looks/size

Offline Tiny Tangs

• Multifasciatus
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2017, 07:32:05 PM »
Two questions.

What kind of light is that?

and,

What kind of sand is that?

Your tank looks great by the way.

Online jerrytheplater

• Boulengeri
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2017, 07:42:57 PM »
So you ended up using Flickr? No fees?
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ

http://www.njagc.net/wp/

Offline n25philly

• Brevis
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2017, 10:07:50 AM »
Yes, flickr.  No, I didn't get charged any fee, but I did have to search online to figure out how to get the photos to show, so there is always a chance I stumbled on some kind of circumvention.