Author Topic: Multifasciatus - Dark one's getting beaten up??  (Read 898 times)

Offline mariociri

• Brevis
    • View Profile
Multifasciatus - Dark one's getting beaten up??
« on: May 14, 2016, 09:43:37 AM »
The oddest thing. I have multiple generations of multies in several breeder tanks. There always seems to be a very "dark" individual swimming around. He/she gets chased and beaten by every fish in the tank. Even the smallest juvies pick on him. Either the color results from getting beaten up or they are a racist bunch of fish. lol.

(Photo attached, not a great one, but he is noticeably dark)

I have removed several of them and put them in the same little nano tank to see if they color back to normal. Anybody else experience this?

Thoughts?

Offline Malik

• Multifasciatus
    • View Profile
Re: Multifasciatus - Dark one's getting beaten up??
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2017, 08:07:23 PM »
Exactly the same thing happend in my newly set up tank. I seperated the tank in two sections divided by a big rock and some plants and that made the bullying stop, and the dark male can have a few shells to himself. If the other fish see him they instantly attack him - except for one other male who now protects him/their territory. 
The fish is still very dark now, a few weeks later and i was wondering if he will ever get back to normal.
I suppose the discoloring is stress related.

Online Deaddawg

• Brevis
    • View Profile
Re: Multifasciatus - Dark one's getting beaten up??
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2017, 09:10:11 AM »
Exactly the same thing happend in my newly set up tank. I seperated the tank in two sections divided by a big rock and some plants and that made the bullying stop, and the dark male can have a few shells to himself. If the other fish see him they instantly attack him - except for one other male who now protects him/their territory. 
The fish is still very dark now, a few weeks later and i was wondering if he will ever get back to normal.
I suppose the discoloring is stress related.
From what I have noticed if he hangs out in a dark background area he darkens.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk