Author Topic: Has anybody heard of this?  (Read 357 times)

Online Deaddawg

• Brevis
    • View Profile
Has anybody heard of this?
« on: June 12, 2017, 11:25:17 AM »
I think this is a great idea that hit me the other day, almost everyone has to buy a heater for their tank. What if the tank bottom or back was heated glass. There are questions that need to be answered like can it be drilled, if not then you could heat the back if your drilling the bottom or vice versa, How long would it last? How much would it cost? What is the temp range?

Just think one less object in your tank. Im not sure if it would be cost effective but im going to find out. I live 2 houses down from a place that makes heated glass. Heated glass has been around since ww 2. It was used for deicing aircraft. Im sure it has been perfected by now.
   It all boils down to price. Question is would you buy it if the additional cost was the cost of 2 name brand heaters? I would...
  Send me a check if you make money from this idea. Lol

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Online jerrytheplater

• Ornatipinnis
    • View Profile
Re: Has anybody heard of this?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2017, 07:34:45 PM »
Interesting thoughts. I'd heat the bottom rather than the side. Heat rises. Make sure you have it on a ground fault circuit.
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ

http://www.njagc.net/wp/

Offline Rupert

• Ornatipinnis
    • View Profile
Re: Has anybody heard of this?
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2017, 10:32:27 AM »
Have you stopped in the glass shop yet? I'm curious to know their response. I've heard of people burying heating cable of some kind in planted tanks. And I've heard of folks using a heating pad type set up for reptile tanks. Unless it actually made a tank less expensive--either to purchase, operate, or both--I doubt I'd go for it. I could maybe see it having some keen interest for the all-in-one, plug-and-play type set up that seems to have a niche following these days. Of course even that would depend on if it can work as an aquarium heater. Hope you stop in and let us know what you find out.