Author Topic: A little help with my first shell dweller tank  (Read 826 times)

Offline freshie

• Multifasciatus
    • View Profile
Re: A little help with my first shell dweller tank
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2017, 05:16:50 PM »
Nice tank. Do you mind telling where you got the fishes. I have hard time finding multies.

Offline n25philly

• Brevis
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2017, 02:44:20 PM »
Nice tank. Do you mind telling where you got the fishes. I have hard time finding multies.

I got lucky at two different lfs.  Each one has 2 left so I have 4.  I've been trying to find a few more, and not having any luck either.

Offline n25philly

• Brevis
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2017, 04:21:30 PM »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Added some more shells, and I need some more help.  I wanted to add more to make sure I had both sexes and managed to finally get some yesterday.  I added three more for a total of 7.  The three I added are tiny and last night were getting picked on by the ones that are already there.  By the time the lights went out all three of the new ones were hiding behind the sponge filter.  Is this normal?  Will they let up on them after a little while?

At least on the bright side, getting more wasn't needed.  Of course after I bought them and added them to the talk I noticed some very tiny little fry by one of the shells.

Online jerrytheplater

• Ornatipinnis
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2017, 08:02:28 PM »
Great news on the fry. But this may complicate what I was going to suggest concerning getting your newcomers accepted.

I was going to say to remove all the shells and flatten out the substrate. Move any hardscape to completely reset your tank. Add the shells back and add all the fish. Hopefully the confusion will allow the newcomers to mix in.

Other idea now is to start a new tank with the newcomers. I like this last idea best.
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ

http://www.njagc.net/wp/

Offline n25philly

• Brevis
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2017, 02:48:20 PM »
The only fry I've seen are by one shell so I'm sure I can work around that.  These guys are just big bullies, one of the new ones is around the same size as the ones already there so it mostly gets left alone.  The others are tiny and they are getting brutalized if they come out at all, even if they stay away from everyone's territories.  I at least managed to get them moved to the other side of the tank and into the java moss behind the rock so they should at least be able to eat the micro-organisms there so they won't starve.

Offline Rupert

• Ornatipinnis
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2017, 12:12:03 AM »
I think there is some kind of Murphy's Law going on here. :) Of course you'd find fry right after buying and adding some extra fish to make sure you have a pair.

Your pair with fry is on high alert so it's going to be rough with newcomers I'd think. The male will likely only be "brutal" to new males on the block as a new female to spend time with is the least of his worries. :) The female on the other hand, will be disinterested in new females and new males especially if they get too close to her territory. If the male looks like he is breaking up a fight between a female and another fish, the other fish is likely a female. If the male rushes over to join the fight and help his female with territory defense, the other fish is likely a male. These are generalizations and exceptions happen, but IME multi behavior runs pretty true once you learn what you're looking at.

In all cases with multis; more shells, more shells, more shells. And as you've already done, a sight break or two or three never hurt either. :)

Offline n25philly

• Brevis
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2017, 12:43:38 PM »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Ok, that night when I got home and turned on the light before they had a chance to wake up I flattened out the sand and move the shells around a bit.  This is how it looked this morning.  It was somewhat successful.  Before if the new guys came out in the open at all they would be harrasses by all four of the fish already there.  Now they seem to get ignored but they still like to hide.  They have taken up in the back corner on the right side.  I have the hornwort over there to kind of break up the sight line and there are some shells there for them.  So far so good.  I'm hopeful that at some point they will come out and everyone will get along.  As long as there is no fighting though I'm happy.  On the plus side the big male that used to hide in the cave on the left a lot now stays out in the open most of the time and doesn't freak out when I come near the tank.

Online Deaddawg

• Brevis
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2017, 09:25:00 PM »
The only fry I've seen are by one shell so I'm sure I can work around that.  These guys are just big bullies, one of the new ones is around the same size as the ones already there so it mostly gets left alone.  The others are tiny and they are getting brutalized if they come out at all, even if they stay away from everyone's territories.  I at least managed to get them moved to the other side of the tank and into the java moss behind the rock so they should at least be able to eat the micro-organisms there so they won't starve.
Where are you getting them locally? Im 30 miles north of Philly.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Offline n25philly

• Brevis
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2017, 09:17:44 AM »
Pets plus natural in norristown just got a big shipment of them in a couple of weeks ago.  That is where I got the news ones, they are selling them for $10 a fish.  Also Reef to Rift in Hatboro got some in around the same time.  They didn't get as many of them but are charging $20 a fish so I think they will sell slower. (I walked out when I say the price)  Also worth noting that when I was Reef to Rift they also had a small group of similis selling for I think $28 a fish.

Online Deaddawg

• Brevis
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2017, 10:48:40 PM »
I saw them at captain nemos but way too small. I also saw them at reef to rift and I walked out too because I bought 5 adults there for $28 a piece and now they want $20 for small ones.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Offline n25philly

• Brevis
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2017, 12:45:05 PM »
Only place I've ever seen ones that weren't tiny was Ely's tropical fish, http://elysfish.com/, where he had one really big one.  The place is kind of a dump but his selection was great.  Too far for me though doubt I'd be going back anytime soon.  Contact him before hand if you want to check it out, he doesn't seem to actually update the stock list on the site.

Offline n25philly

• Brevis
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2017, 02:33:32 PM »
Oh, and the rescape was successful, I moved the hornwart to remove the divide in the tank and while the new guys have made the back corner their territory they do come out now and none of the fish that were already there are giving them a hard time anymore.

Online jerrytheplater

• Ornatipinnis
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2017, 04:08:40 PM »
Great news on the peace in your tank.

Ely's. First owner opened it somewhere around 1928. The current owner is the son of the person that bought it from Ely. At least that is how I remember it. The store is a wooden house built in a flood plain. The backyard is a swamp. Kind of an interesting store to visit. Maybe 20 minutes to drive there for me.

New store opened up in my town. Aquarium's by JJ. https://www.facebook.com/aquariumsbyjj/  JJ mostly services tanks for clients. His wife is the one in the store most times. He does have a large batch of Julidochromis marlieri at a great price of $10.00 each. Maybe an inch long or so.
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ

Online jerrytheplater

• Ornatipinnis
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2017, 04:11:15 PM »
Up for a drive to Bradley Beach NJ? http://www.shelldwellers.com/index.php?topic=7722.new#new  9 mulites for $30.00. Pickup only.
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ