Author Topic: Adventures in my new 55 gallon Multi colony  (Read 463 times)

Online Olive

• Brevis
    • View Profile
Re: Adventures in my new 55 gallon Multi colony
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2017, 09:22:18 AM »
Now that I know what part of the anatomy it is I'll try to see if I can distinguish any of the juvenile's sexes that way.

I've seen some of the juveniles hang out mainly in shells, especially after getting both of the older multies in there.  When one of the ones from the 46 swims by they act like they're trying to get it to follow them into the shell.  They'll come out, try to get it's attention by kinda nipping at it & as it got closer dart back in.  I noticed a bit of this behavior when it was just the juveniles in the tank but all 6 of them would dart into shells at first so it was really hard to tell. 

I noticed similar behavior in the 46 with the similis & when I noticed fry in one of the shells it used to do that in, I assumed the similis was a female.

Offline Rupert

• Ocellatus
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2017, 10:19:31 AM »
I know it sounds goofy to say, but until they get to a certain point of development there's just no telling them apart. And, the more you have in the tank the easier it will be to see general differences in shape and behavior. Cues that seem apparent in a group of 50 may be useless in a group of 6. It's so easy to stop and watch a multi tank for a few minutes every day that soon you will be reading it like a book--it's a drama, a romance, a comedy, and a mystery all in one. :)

Offline tabendall

• Brevis
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2017, 10:38:09 AM »
"it's a drama, a romance, a comedy, and a mystery all in one"

I love that description! :)

Online Olive

• Brevis
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2017, 12:26:43 PM »
As for the comedy.  One of the older multies was doing some digging yesterday.  With some of the mouthfuls of sand he would swim in a circle before spitting it out.  It reminded me of a dog chasing its tail.

Online Olive

• Brevis
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2017, 11:33:07 PM »
I SAW BABIES TONIGHT!!!!!!!!  I'm not sure if they're new ones or the ones from before.  They're still tiny & all eyes but they're swimming outside the shells on my left side of the tank. 

How long is it usually between sets of babies?

Offline Rupert

• Ocellatus
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2017, 06:19:53 PM »
Mine seem to go every 5-6 weeks.

Online Olive

• Brevis
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2017, 08:01:38 AM »
Here's a couple pictures.  In the first one you can see both the multi's from the 46 with the juvies.

Offline Rupert

• Ocellatus
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2017, 05:51:55 PM »
Good stuff, Olive. :)

Between you and me, it still gives me a grin and bit of excitement to see fresh fry from a shell--won't be long before you're seeing your own fry having fry. Very fun little fish to work with. So glad they have settled in and started giving you dividends on all your hard work and investment.

Online jerrytheplater

• Ornatipinnis
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2017, 08:55:13 PM »
Good news Olive. Glad for you.
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ

http://www.njagc.net/wp/

Online Olive

• Brevis
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2017, 11:23:16 AM »
I think the fry I posted about earlier this month are a second set.  I've seen one fry towards the back left corner of the tank.  The newer fry I posted about are still on the left but a bit more forward.  The few times that the one in the back left corner is out as well as the others there is a noticeable difference in size between them.  They're both still small.

There still seems to be no fry action on the right side of the 2 large Tonna shells.  I'm beginning to wonder if it has to do with current.  The 2 air stones on that side of the tank still have plenty of little air bubbles coming out of them & the output of the canister filter is pointed up & to the right side of the tank.  The left side of the tank's air stone has so much sand on it from the multies digging it's not putting out any air bubbles.

Online Olive

• Brevis
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2017, 06:53:57 PM »
The multies are remodeling so my landmarks of where to look for the two broods are gone.  It's cool that they remodel & all but it's a pain when I'm wanting to keep an eye on the fry.  I haven't been able to locate the second brood & there were at least a half dozen.