Author Topic: Just joined  (Read 384 times)

Online Queequeg

• Brevis
    • View Profile
Just joined
« on: September 04, 2017, 11:20:41 AM »
Came across this forum while debating on what to do with my new 55 gallon tank. Hoping to get a lot of help here!
I SEEK THE WHITE SHELLIE

Offline Rupert

• Ornatipinnis
    • View Profile
Re: Just joined
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2017, 05:39:00 PM »
A. Welcome!
B. Bowing in respect to the mind that chose Queequeg as a name on a shell dweller forum. Well done ma'am/sir. Well done. :)
C. What kind of fish have you had previously? What would you like to see for your new 55?

Online Queequeg

• Brevis
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2017, 07:35:18 PM »
Thanks Rupert, I've kept tetras and amano shrimp in a planted 50 gallon tank with co2, ferts, and current usa pro for lighting. Tearing down the 50 because of a cracked center brace and pond snails everywhere.... in the filters also so as I was searching online for something different I came across shell dwellers and really would like to have something with shellies and maybe rock dwellers in the same tank. I'm a newbie when it comes to this so I sure can use some help. I have been doing some research about shellies and have a lot of questions. I'm a 57 year old husband of a loving wife and a have an obsession with keeping fish!
I SEEK THE WHITE SHELLIE

Offline jerrytheplater

• Ornatipinnis
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2017, 08:59:36 PM »
Welcome to the site. Shellies are nice, but a lot different than a planted tank. You can grow some Crypts in with Tanganyikan fish. But often they get uprooted. Vallisneria will do great in with them if you get it established and well rooted.

Are you planning on fixing the center brace? You can also buy a new plastic rim by special order. Kind of hard getting the old one off, but its doable.
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ

http://www.njagc.net/wp/

Online Queequeg

• Brevis
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2017, 06:42:12 AM »
Hey jerrytheplater, I bought a new 55 gallon couple of weeks ago for 75.00 it's a aqueon it was on sale. The 50 also had quite a few scratches so I might make glass lids out of it. After doing some research about shell dwellers I know that it is a whole different ball game and I'm finding out that one of the biggest hurdles is finding a place to get multies at a good price and the other is after awhile if the colony gets to crowded what to do with the offspring, but I really would like to get into this aspect of the hobby. When I bought the 55 I had no idea what I was going to do but wanted to go in a different direction. Had I found out about shelldwellers before hand I probably would have bought a shallower tank. I have a lot of questions. Thanks for your reply.
I SEEK THE WHITE SHELLIE

Offline Rupert

• Ornatipinnis
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2017, 10:37:41 PM »
I always recommend folks check with their local aquarium clubs to find multis. It's unlikely you'll find them at a better price anywhere else. It's not magic and doesn't work in every situation, but it's totally worth the effort to see if it works for you. 

Fry can be a balancing act. Depending on the population of the area you're in, you may be able to sell them for awhile. (Having some way to network with your local aquarium club can be a big help in this regard.) When and if you run out of people who want to buy your fry, a good line of defense is to put a predator or two with your multi colony to turn your fry into snacks.

Which brings us to being happy you have a 55g. :) Plenty of room in a 55g to include a rock dweller that will prey on some of your fry for you. (I'll give a fair nod to a "grass is always greener" argument here.) Plenty of time for details later, but honestly, a 55g will give you options.

Hope you jump in with your questions. I'll add a couple quick thoughts on plants too. Anubias can be great with multis since they don't need to be in the substrate and they do fine with the water. Java fern may also perform. Vallisneria, IME, can do just fine. If you get it started in an area that's not in the middle of your shell bed :) the multis may well cause it no problems. Biggest problem I've had with multis and val is the multis burying them as opposed to digging them up. Lots of people avoid plants in a Tanganyikan tank because most of them aren't really accurate for the biotope, but the truth is there are plants in Lake Tanganyika. And, also, there are none. Just depends where you look. :) IMHO, you don't have to totally suffocate your love of plants to have an awesome shell dweller tank. But no doubt there is great beauty to be had with some substrate, some shells and a couple rocks. 

Online Queequeg

• Brevis
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2017, 06:00:03 PM »
Hey Rupert, I've checked around for aquarium clubs near me and believe it or not the closest is somewhere up near Chicago and the other is in SouthBend,In. I would have thought with the population being what it is here in NW Indiana that this would not be a problem. Anyway I'll figure something out when it comes time to get some shelldwellers. There is one mom and pop store very close to me that just might be my answer it's called the Ark Pet Shop and they do everything from freshwater to salt and he does carry cichlids so we'll see.
On another note your thoughts about a combination shelldweller and rockdweller is something that I had contemplated before and is actually very interesting. I like the idea of quote crowd control but I would also have a chance to raise some fry too. As far as plants maybe after the tank has seasoned for awhile I might get like you say some anubia or java fern but, a break from plants is ok for me, that way I can focus on getting my lighting right so as not to cause to much algae. I should probably start another thread on the forum and start asking some of the question that I have and also let you all know what kind of a set up I'm going to use, ie filters, lighting, and what my tap water is like. Thanks again for your experience, I look forward to more from this forum!
I SEEK THE WHITE SHELLIE

Offline jerrytheplater

• Ornatipinnis
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2017, 08:12:17 PM »
Your fish will do perfectly fine without any lighting if your tank is in any normally lit room. If in a dark basement, that is another story. I have a 10 gallon T-8 fluorescent fixture on a 65 gallon Tanganyikan tank. Light barely does anything by itself. The lights in my office light it up just fine. On the weekends, the fish are just in a darkened tank since only the T-8 is on. No green algae at all. I have a coating of what may be a juvenile form of BBA. It forms a brown felt on the rock surface.
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ

Online Queequeg

• Brevis
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2017, 04:51:17 AM »
jerrytheplater, my tank will be approximately 8 feet from a south facing window, the tank being on the west side in my living rm. For viewing pleasure how long should lights be on when I get home from work and settle down to relax I would like to enjoy the tank.
I SEEK THE WHITE SHELLIE

Offline jerrytheplater

• Ornatipinnis
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2017, 09:40:48 PM »
You won't need any light during daylight hours, especially if nobody is home. How long do you think you'll be watching the tank? Not during dinner I suppose. For a few hours after dinner? Relaxation after your meal? Leave the lights on over the tank for those few hours.

Its hard to say an exact time to leave the lights on. Its your choice. Ideally, the fish live on an approximately 12 hour day in the wild. So, if you stick to that time slot, you'll never see your tank. You will have to leave the lights on a few hours after the sun goes down.
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ

Online Queequeg

• Brevis
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2017, 05:55:41 AM »
Hey jerrytheplater, that's what I was thinking about after dinner when I get home for just a few hours is fine, the rest of the day there is plenty of indirect light in the living rm. Thanks
I SEEK THE WHITE SHELLIE

Online deeda

• Ocellatus
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2017, 01:44:34 PM »
Welcome to SD's!!

You may want to try Circle City Aquarium Club in Indianapolis if that is near you as they have an auction coming up very soon, never mind I see you are in the NW.

What about Michiana Aquarium Society near South Bend?

Or check with your local aquarium or pet shop to see if they know of any clubs in your area.
Dee

Online Queequeg

• Brevis
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2017, 06:29:58 PM »
Thanks deeda, I'm going to check out one local pet shop called the Ark this Saturday, we will see. I also looked at Michiana Aquarium Society but not in depth so when I get time I will revisit their site.
I SEEK THE WHITE SHELLIE

Offline Rupert

• Ornatipinnis
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2017, 12:55:59 AM »
My fish get low indirect sunlight all day long. Tank lights go on around 4 and I keep them on till about 10.

Ask around, send off an email to the clubs closest to you, see what's going at the local pet shop....I had someone that was over 2 hours away contact me wanting to buy multis. By a stroke of luck I knew of someone that was like 30 minutes from him who had them. So I set him up with some contact info and he got his fish with minimal hassle and I settled for the goodwill. :) At any rate, hope you can track some down one way or another. They're a really fun fish to keep. 

Online Queequeg

• Brevis
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2017, 04:16:24 AM »
That's what I'm talking about jerry, sounds good with that kind of lighting schedule. Now I just have to do some more investigating work to locate some shellies. I have time, we are putting new carpet in the house and haven't even started to set up the tank and cycle it. ugh!
I SEEK THE WHITE SHELLIE