Author Topic: L. Ornatipinnis Tank  (Read 459 times)

Offline meshbeard

• Multifasciatus
    • View Profile
L. Ornatipinnis Tank
« on: December 03, 2016, 09:51:22 PM »
Hi everyone, I'm new here.

I just set up a tank with 4 Lamprologus Ornatipinnis. It's a custom 40x8x8 acrylic tank. I have 2 males and 2 females. I've had them for about 2 weeks. Just pulled them out of QT and put them in the display tank a couple days ago. However I'm having an issue where the alpha male will chase the beta male all over the tank. These are my first cichlids so I'm not sure how much aggression is ok. The beta male has taken to sitting on the floor behind the filter on one of the ends of the tank. I have about 20 shells in there. I've attached some pictures too. It's a space themed aquarium hence the paint and the black sand.

So my question is: what, if anything, should I do about the aggression?

Online jerrytheplater

• Ornatipinnis
    • View Profile
Re: L. Ornatipinnis Tank
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2016, 09:20:03 PM »
You may end up removing the beta male. Sight blocks may help, but it is a small tank. Maybe a pile of rocks blocking the middle.
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ

http://www.njagc.net/wp/

Offline Braden8558

• Ornatipinnis
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2017, 05:04:33 PM »
Hello,

The space theme background is sweet! Did you paint that yourself?

Also, how are the ornatapinnis doing? Do you have any updates on the tank?

Regards.

Braden

Offline meshbeard

• Multifasciatus
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2017, 02:52:29 PM »
My girlfriend painted it yes. They've been moved to a different tank at this point because the acrylic was starting to bow out. It's still watertight though and I think with a brace across the top middle it would be ok to use again. You're actually welcome to buy it off us if you'd like. I saw you were in Mass too.

Two of the ornatipinnis are no more, but the remaining two have spawned. Currently only see 2 remaining fry, but they're getting pretty good sized and it's been pretty cool watching them grow.