Author Topic: How do i sell Lamprologus multifasciatus?  (Read 774 times)

Offline Fishem02

• Multifasciatus
    • View Profile
How do i sell Lamprologus multifasciatus?
« on: December 11, 2016, 08:15:50 PM »
Hey!
I don't have the Multies yet, but i have them ordered and my tank is cycled and ready for them..
I'm thinking of ways to sell the fry if i need to considering my tank is on the smaller side being a 10g.

There was a live feed by Aquarium Co-op and he was asking questions.
And he said that Multies don't sell at all.

How would i go by selling them, not so much for a business type of way, but just a small bit of extra cash.

Thanks! :D

Online deeda

• Ocellatus
    • View Profile
Re: How do i sell Lamprologus multifasciatus?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2016, 02:11:09 PM »
There are quite a few options for selling fry or unwanted fish though it can depend on your location and how you want to sell them. 
- Local aquarium club near your location; you can join the club, usually for a nominal yearly membership, and then can sell fish at club meetings or auctions.
- Local fish or pet stores may buy some fish from you or offer store credit.
- Aquabid or similar online auction sites though you may have to offer shipping if the buyer isn't local.
- The buy/sell section on this forum.

I find the easiest method is through local aquarium clubs in my area and I can also buy quality or unusual species at great prices.  Multies are very popular in my area and always commend a good price at meetings and auctions.
Dee

Offline mschmidt62

• Brevis
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2017, 01:12:03 PM »
I recently got some store credit at my LFS for multies. I had tried to get rid of other fish in the past and was discouraged by the reception I got at some stores, but that was a long time ago. I have since learned some things. The keys to success are, in my opinion:

1. Be nice. Don't act as if you are doing the store owners a favor, but that they are doing you one by taking unwanted fish off your hands.
2. Realize that the store owners have limited tank space, just like you, but they actually have to pay salaries and rent from what they sell out of their tanks. If they don't think your fish "fit" into their business, don't argue.
3. Choose a less busy time to visit the store. If they have to take time away from people who are buying things in order to attend to someone who is selling something, they are losing income.
4. It's not a bad idea to appear first as a source of income rather than a sink. I went into my LFS and bought a bunch of food and tubing and stuff, and then asked them if they would be interested in multies. Sure, after you build up store credit, you're going to be taking stuff home without paying, but they know that someday you may be buying a big new tank or something from them. Make it a two-way street, develop a relationship.
Mike

Offline mschmidt62

• Brevis
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2017, 01:36:36 PM »
Oh, and make sure you spend your store credit before the store goes out of business. I lost over $100 in store credit in a previous decade when a store went out of business when I wasn't paying attention.
Mike

Offline JarmFace

• Brevis
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2017, 11:48:29 AM »
My guess as to why Cory was stating that Multis don't sell well is that in the Seattle area (and the PNW in general, on the wet side of the mountains) has really soft tap water. He probably doesn't move many fish from his store that require altered water parameters from tap. Just a guess on my part though.

I'll parrot what mschmidt62 said earlier: become chummy with your LFS staff. They know me by face (but not by name since my name is unusual) and greet me when I come in. I make sure to buy things from them so they know that I am also a source of income. When I bring in stuff to sell, now that they know me, I just say what it is, set it on the counter, and while they check it out, I got and look at the tanks. If nothing else, it looks like I'm planning a purchase with my newly earned credit.