Author Topic: From 10 to 20 Long, thinking about Julidochromis to go with my multifasciatus?  (Read 1012 times)

Online KappaSoFish

• Brevis
    • View Profile
Just transferred my multis to their new tank and re did the scape in anticipation of ordering some julidochromis. What species of julie's stay the smallest? Anyone have experience keeping them in cozy conditions with shellies? Also I'm thinking of a little school of maybe 7 harlequin rasboras for some extra color and movement in the tank. ANyone have trouble with tetras and shellies?

Thanks!

Offline Spartanb75

• Multifasciatus
    • View Profile
Great question on the julies, ive been researching the same thing still not sure which ones stay the smallest yet but im still looking.id like to try julies with multies aswell..bluechip aquatics has some really nice varieties.and also im thinking of a topwater fish aswell...but instead of tetras im looking into some type of cyprichromis...check em out.

Online KappaSoFish

• Brevis
    • View Profile
Yeah I'm definitely interested to see what the more experienced Shelly keepers have to say about the multi and Julie mix.

I looked into the cyprichromis but my tank is way too small. I'd love to do a 125 one day with a bunch of different shellies, rock dwellers and a big school of cyps.

Offline Spartanb75

• Multifasciatus
    • View Profile
Theres always what people think is a rule of thumb about which species csn be kept with each other..but i will tell you ive kept multis occies and sumbudwarf shell comps in a 38 gsllon with little problems...sometimes things just work. And sometimes they dont.

Offline Pilch566

• Brevis
    • View Profile
I am in process of setting up a 20 gallon long and also planning on multies and julies. According to the species profiles on cichlid-forum.com, J. ornatus and J. transcriptus are 3", J. dickfeldi is 4" and J. marlieri and J. regani are 5".

I'm hoping to get ornatus or transcriptus, depending on availability.

Offline jamntoast3

• Brevis
    • View Profile
i'm not a super experienced shellie keeper but i have julie sp gombe with l. stappersi and my julies are pretty territorial, the way you have it i would think would be fine because they arent crossing across to get from one rock pile to another. my julies have kicked the stappersi out of shells also to use as spawning sites. for the most part its okay, the multis on the edge of the colony will prob get harassed a bit imo, but thats life

Offline Spartanb75

• Multifasciatus
    • View Profile
Great info on the julis

Offline Miles44

• Charter Member
  • Charter Member
  • Shellie addict
    • View Profile
I would recommend keeping the multies by themselves in the 20 long. I think at first it might work out but ultimately you will have territory issues with the combination of fish in a tank with that footprint.  I've kept a similar combination in a 40 gallon (36 inch foot print) and at first the fish got along great but slowly (over a 6 month period) the multies, in expanding their territory with breeding and fry growth, began overtaking and fighting the fish in the rock piles.  With that said, it is just a recommendation.  It's great to experiment I only urge you to make sure you have a back up plan for the additional fish if things don't work out the way you'd like. BTW the tank setup looks great :)

Online KappaSoFish

• Brevis
    • View Profile
UPDATE: I pulled the trigger and picked up 4 J. Transcriptus, they range from 1 to 1.5 inches right now and hopefully either a pair will remain or just a solo guy if their aggression gets worse with age. But right now as of 3 days in the tank they are getting along well except for the alpha Multifasciatus coming over to assert dominance every now and then. I am adding 10 more pounds of rock today so hopefully they will remain comfortable.

I also added 5 praecox rainbows but due to illness and filter intake accident I am down to 3. The remaining three are active and eating well but they may not stay in this tank for long depending on how the dynamic changes between the rainbows and the transcriptus. Currently they transcriptus don't bother the rainbows but if they start getting territorial with them the rainbows may need a new home.

Online jerrytheplater

• Boulengeri
    • View Profile
I don't think you'll have a problem with the Rainbows. They are mid water fish and the Julies stay mostly by the rocks.
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ

http://www.njagc.net/wp/

Offline Pilch566

• Brevis
    • View Profile
J. "gombi" seems to be placed in either the transcriptus species or the marlieri species. Cichlid-forum.com puts "gombi" with marlieri but notes that "gombi" grows to 3 inches. The other marlieri variants are listed there as growing to 5 inches. 

Offline neolamp 65

• Brevis
    • View Profile
Interesting rockwork in your tank; looks like morgan hill jasper.

Offline Rupert

• Ornatipinnis
    • View Profile
It's been about a month since you put the julies with your multis. Wondering how things are going. Would love to hear your thoughts at this point on successes, failures, any adjustments. I just picked up some transcriptus last weekend and am considering the same combo of julies/multis in a 20 long.

Online KappaSoFish

• Brevis
    • View Profile
The julies are doing great, they have settled in nicely and have become one of my favorite species to keep. They are constantly eating algae off the rock and occasionally chasing each other around. With regards to the multis, the sub dominant male in my colony seems to be earning his keep with the alpha by being the territory enforcer in chief. He is constantly chasing any julies near the contested zone, he also goes deep into julie territory just to make his point. The julies easily escape into the rocks and don't seem to bothered by the harrassment too much, they still get plenty of food at feeding time. I assume once the julies are larger they will be able to fight for territory more effectively. My only advice is to provide plenty of rocks for the julies and make sure territories are separated. Also having some dither fish, like my praecox rainbow, seems to help the julies be less skittish by having something else to chase occasionally.

The images show a very common occurrence in my 20 long, the alpha male and subdom male claiming territory in the rock pile and the largest of the julies trying his best to fend them off, but alas he is not large enough to be successful yet.

Offline Miles44

• Charter Member
  • Charter Member
  • Shellie addict
    • View Profile
It's great to hear everybody's getting along so far. Great pics btw :)