Author Topic: From 10 to 20 Long, thinking about Julidochromis to go with my multifasciatus?  (Read 1013 times)

Offline Rupert

• Ornatipinnis
    • View Profile
Thanks for the update. Sounds like the multis are running the show without doing damage to the julies. Nice to know it's working out.

Offline Pilch566

• Brevis
    • View Profile
I am having the opposite effect. My alpha Julie is the biggest fish in the tank and he chases the multies (although he chases the multies less than he chases the other Julies). The multies generally hold their own and sometimes chase the big Julie but I think the multies have ceded some territory to the big Julie. The two smaller Julies get chased by everyone.

Offline Rupert

• Ornatipinnis
    • View Profile
I gave a run at the combo and had a similar experience. The male multi I put into the Julie tank pretty much ran the brawl. I ended up pulling the multis since the focus of that tank is the julies. Plan to try again down the road after it looks like the julies can muster more assertiveness. My julies range from a bit over an inch to nearly 1.75", and the young male multi I put in their tank was just fearless about swimming across the tank into the middle of 5 julies and throwing a rampage.

Keep posting. Great to share notes with folks trying the same combo at the same time.

Online KappaSoFish

• Brevis
    • View Profile
Update:
The multis kept on breeding like rabbits and the juvenile males were starting to move throughout pretty much the whole tank. This meant the Julieís really did not have the proper space to thrive so I decided to rehome the multis at the LFS I work at.

To move the multis I decided just to remove them while they were in the shells and just directly transfer the shells with fish inside to their new tank at the store. What I did not anticipate is that a lot of the juveniles did not hide in the shells. I regret not taking the time to catch them all when I was already removing all the shells because even though there are only about 10 juveniles left in the tank they still manage to take some territory from the Julieís. I have left 5 shells in the tank as the home for the juvenile multis.

I am happy with my decision, the Julieís are thriving and I believe I finally have a pair forming, although no spawns yet. Also I have been bitten by the planted tank bug and have added 6 different species of plants so far. I started adding fertilizer which has made a tremendous difference for the plants and Iím currently experimenting with a Koralia 240 powerhead and trying to dial it in so that the tank doesnít turn into a whirlpool.

Hopefully my next update will contain some julie fry! For the attacked pictures one is a full tank shot and the other is the potential julie pair. I believe for this species of julie, transcriptus 'bemba', the male is the smaller one, I don't really know though I have seen mixed stories all over the internet.