Author Topic: what to do about males?  (Read 216 times)

Offline Kittypaws

• Multifasciatus
    • View Profile
what to do about males?
« on: July 29, 2017, 10:02:14 PM »
So long story short I bought 5 multifasciatus from an online seller. Despite some trouble with cycling and my only female getting ammonia poisoning. My 1 pair have bred fine after I separated the three males and the pair. I don't know what to do about the 3 males. I prefer not to give them away cause I paid for them and I'm kind of attached, but I will if the need be. Is there a way I can reintroduce the 3 males to the pair without excessive aggression? The dominant male is very protective of his mate and his frys. Or should I leave my 20 gallon
long divided and find new owners for them. Thanks any advice will be nice.

Online JarmFace

• Brevis
    • View Profile
Re: what to do about males?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2017, 10:53:03 AM »
If the pair has an established territory, just place the shells for the other males away from there. Each shell bed should be about 4 inches at a minimum from each other so everyone can get their space that they need. With a 20 L, you should be fine on setting that up. The other males should be OK, as long as they have their own shells in their own space.

Offline Rupert

• Ornatipinnis
    • View Profile
Re: what to do about males?
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2017, 07:13:19 PM »
Yeah, I'm not sure there's a magic bullet. Or even a certain peaceful course forward.

Agree with the above. Add more shells. Do some rearranging. Put a castle/buddha/big rock between the pair and the rest of the tank and let them at it. They'll do lots of posturing at each other, quick charges and hits against each other, and that's normal. If one of them stops giving as good as it gets and pretty much goes into retreat/hiding mode and is still being attacked, then the prognosis isn't good. But otherwise, they are territorial cichlids and you're going to have some scuffles. You're looking at months and months before you get some extra females out of your own fry. 

Bummer to hear they are giving you such trouble. What was the aggression like before you put the divider in, by the way? For sure, time spent in territory defense is time not spent spawning. But it's normal for both males and females to posture and spar throughout the day, every day in defense of territory. That said, I've had multis ruthlessly chase and kill a fish at the bottom of the pecking order in a tank without shells. So I know it's possible for them to be really aggressive.